[blind-chess] Fwd: VO accessible Chess, Checkers, Draughts and Xaingqi games released for iPhone, iPad & iTouch

  • From: Woody Anna Dresner <wadresner@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 23:12:05 -0600

Hi all,

I've tried this app, and it really is accessible. I think I'll need to have a
board in front of me as well, as just hearing where the pieces are isn't as
effective for me as actually touching them , but the game tells you if you've
touched a square with a piece what that piece is, and speaks the coordinates of
squares with no pieces. It speaks the computer's move and shows it at the top
of the screen, so you can review it if you didn't catch it.

The person who wrote this post had a couple of corrections to make, so I'll
forward his second post as well. This is really cool!

Best,
Anna

Begin forwarded message:

> One addition and one correction to my original email:
> 1. Only the Chess-wise App has a free version. The other three apps and
> Chess-wise Pro are paid Apps at US 2.99 or 1.99 each.
> 2. Marcel hopes to also add Czech, French and Polish translations to the next
> version of these Apps.
>
> Thanks again,
> Bryan
>
> On Feb 3, 2011, at 8:13 PM, Bryan Jones wrote:
>> Greetings All,
>>
>> Today Apple approved and released the accessible version of Marcel Nijman's
>> Chess-wise Apps! As Scott Howell and I mentioned last week, Marcel has been
>> working to make his Chess App VoiceOver accessible. In addition, Marcel
>> modified three of his other game apps to make them VO accessible. Those Apps
>> are: Checker-wise, Draughts-wise and Xiangqi-wise. These apps are all now
>> available worldwide in the App Store and in the following languages:
>> English, Spanish, Russian, German and Dutch. Marcel plans to add Polish in
>> the next update.
>>
>> Each of these four Apps is a universal App, which means they will run
>> correctly on the iPhone, iTouch and iPad. Also, each App has two versions: A
>> Free and a Pro version. The differences between the Free and Pro versions
>> are clearly defined in the "Description" section of each App's page in the
>> App Store. Personally, I would urge you to consider purchasing the Pro
>> version of any of these Apps in which you are interested. The price is only
>> US $2.99 for the Chess and Checker Apps, and only US $1.99 for the Draughts
>> and Xiangqi Apps. I believe Marcel is the kind of developer who deserves our
>> support one hundred percent.
>>
>> I've not tried the 3 other games yet, but I can tell you the Chessboard and
>> Chess pieces are now recognized and read aloud by VO. You can navigate the
>> board using a one-finger swipe, or you can just slide one finger around the
>> board and VO will announce the coordinates and the name of a piece if one
>> occupies that square. To make a move, use one finger to locate the piece you
>> want to move, then double-tap. VO will announce "Selected." Now use one
>> finger again to locate the destination square and double-tap again. Please
>> note that this is considered a first version of this game in it's accessible
>> form. While Marcel has made the heart of the App accessible, it is a very
>> feature-rich App which will require additional coding to make it fully
>> accessible. Marcel has asked that those of us who use the Apps provide
>> feedback to him so he can continue to refine and update the accessibility
>> features.
>>
>> Here is a link to Marcel's App Gallery in the US iTunes store:
>> http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/marcel-nijman/id337888122
>>
>> Here is a link to Chess-wise Pro in the US App Store:
>> http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chess-wise-pro/id351303981?mt=8
>>
>> Here is a link to Chess-wise FREE in the US App Store:
> [...]

View list information and change your settings:
//www.freelists.org/list/blind-chess
=======