[blind-chess] Fw: Position analysis - solution

  • From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "chess" <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 09:42:46 -0700

Good Morning,

The following is Rod's solution.

----------
In the diagrammed position below, which I sent on the morning of April 13, Black has a superior position. White's pawn structure is terrible, and White's Queen is blocked off on the queenside, away from where the fight is going to occur. I would even go so far as to say Black has a winning advantage.

White has just moved hiskingside Rook to b1, intending to put pressure on the b7 pawn and keep White from moving his c8 Bishop into action.

Black actually has several very good moves.For example:
21. ... Qe6
22. Rd1 Rxd1+
23. Rxd1 Nxd1
25. Qxd1 Qxc4
25. Qd8+ Kh7
26. Kf2  Qxf4
27. Bh3 Bxh3
28. Qxa8 Bg4
and black should win.

Another good try is:
21. ... g5
 22. fxg5 hxg5
23. h3 b6
24. Re1 Bb7
25. Qb1 Nxg2
26. Kxg2 Qxe5
27.  e4 Qxc3
28. Qc1 Qxc1
and Black has a very strong advantage.

Another very strong line for Black is:
21. ... b6
22. Bh1 g5
23. fxg5 hxg5
24. Kf2 Nxg4+
25. Kg1 Bf5
26. Rd1 Kg7 27. Rd5 Be4
and again Black has a very strong advantage.

Other moves such as 21. ... Rb1 and 21. ... f6 lead to strong positions for Black.

But the BEST move? Try this:

21. ... Bf5!

It turns out that White cannot take the pawn at b7 because Black would then play 22. ... Rd1+, winning a Rook. White actually played 22. Rb2 and resigned about a dozen moves later, after Black relocated his Bishop on e4, both protecting b7 and attacking the White kingside.

I'll send this to richard to be posted after folks have a chance to crack this one. Three cheers for anyone who suggested 21. ... Bf5!

I will be back from vacation on April 30 and we can start that match a day or two after that.

Rod

Diagram: r1br2k1/ pp2qpp1/
7p/
2p1P3/