[blind-chess] End Game Problem 1

  • From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "chess" <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 12:35:34 -0700

The 31 problems I will present over the next few weeks are a test from Larry
Evans' book "Chess: Beginner to Expert" available on tape from your NLS
library.  Note this book uses descriptive notation not algebraic.

I am open to any suggestions from list members on how to do this, but I am
planning on posting one test problem a day during the week and solutions the
following Monday.  You should probably wait until the answers are posted before
commenting so everyone has a chance to solve the problems.

If you have suggestions or comments, do not hesitate to post them to the list.
Since I am not a real teacher, I am just feeling my way along here.  So don't
worry you will not hurt my feelings if you want to change how this works.  I am
OK with any general consensus.

That said, let me first tell you this is in the form of a test of 31 problems.
The first 12 are warm up questions and are relatively simple.  Each has a point
value and I encourage you to keep score on your progress.

Some general advice I hear in chess books is always look at every check or
capture.  These so called forcing moves are often involved in every winning
combination.  Also in these end game problems pay attention to flight squares
for the enemy King, if you can plug up his escape that is half the battle.

problem 1:
4Q3/
3R3p/
2p1pr1k/