[blind-chess] Re: Alvin, correct Re: Spoiler Alert Problem WAC008

  • From: Roderick Macdonald <rmacd@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 19:14:57 -1000 (HST)

Lewis,

I hope to post an article soon explaining the FEN notation, but briefly:

There are six fields (or parts) to a full FEN diagram. The first gives the position, and we all know that part. Often that isd all that is given, but if not, the next field indicates the color of the side with the next move. So the "W" in Richard's diagram indicates that white is to move.

The third field indicates castling rights. If neither side can castle - as in Richard's diagram - this is indicated with a hyphen - "-". Otherwise it is something like "kqkq" the first "k" means whtie can castle kingside, the second that black can castle kingside; and the first "q" means white can castle queenside while the second means black can do so.

The fourth field indicates a target square for "en passant". More on that next time, but when there is none, it is indicated with a hyphen.

The fifth field indicates the number of the "half-mvoe" and the sixth field the number of the "full move." More on those later too.

Rod

The
========== The blind-chess mailing list View list information and change your settings: //www.freelists.org/list/blind-chess List archives: //www.freelists.org/archives/blind-chess =========