[blind-chess] A Chess Learning Tool for Inexperienced Players

  • From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "chess" <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 19:38:24 -0700

Hi All,

The following chess game and extensive annotation is extracted from the
excellent book:
"Logical Chess Move by Move"
by Irving Chernev

The original book was published in the 1950's, but an algebraic notation
version was published in 1998 or so.  I have the original descriptive notation
version and I have scanned and converted the first game to algebraic notation.
The descriptive notation version is available on tape from the NLS.

This game demonstrates how disturbing the Pawn structure in front of the
castled King can weaken the position and open up White to a kingside attack.

Since Black wins this game, I suggest that you play through this game as Black
and that you try to reason out Black's best move before reading what actually
happened in the real game.  The game is short only 18 moves, so it will not
take you long.

Enjoy.

GAME NO. 1
GIUOCO PIANO
Scheve-Teichmann
BERLIN,  1907

The chief object of all opening strategy is to get the pieces out quickly-off
the back rank and into active play. You cannot attack (let alone try to
checkmate) with one or two pieces. You must develop all of them, as each one
has a job to do.

A good way to begin is to release two pieces at one stroke, and this can be
done by advancing one of the center Pawns.

1. e4

This is an excellent opening move. White anchors a Pawn in the center of the
board and opens lines for his Queen and a Bishop. His next move, if let alone,
will be 2. d4. The two Pawns will then control four squares on the fifth rank,
c5, d5, e5 and f5, and prevent Black from placing any of his pieces on those
important squares.

How shall Black reply to White's first move? He must not waste time considering
meaningless moves, such as 1... h3 or 1... a3. These and other aimless moves do
nothing toward developing the pieces, nor do they interfere with White's threat
to monopolize the center.

Black must fight for an equal share of the good squares. Black must dispute
possession of the center.

Why all this stress on the center? Why is it so important?

Pieces placed in the center enjoy the greatest freedom of action and have the
widest scope for their attacking powers. A Knight, for example, posted in the
center, reaches out in eight directions and attacks eight squares. Standing at
the side of the board, its range of attack is limited to four squares. It is
only half a Knight!

Occupation of the center means control of the most valuable territory. It
leaves less room for the enemy's pieces, and makes defense difficult, as his
pieces tend to get in each other's way.

Occupation of the center, or control of it from a distance, sets up a barrier
which divides the opponent's forces and prevents them from cooperating
harmoniously. Resistance by an army thus disunited is usually not very
effective.

1... e5

Very good! Black insists on a fair share of the center. He fixes a Pawn firmly
there and liberates two of his pieces.

2. Nf3!

Absolutely the best move on the board!

The Knight develops with a threat-attack on a Pawn. This gains time as Black is
not free to develop as he pleases. He must save the Pawn before he does
anything else, and this cuts down his choice of reply.

The Knight develops toward the center, which increases the scope of his attack.

The Knight exerts pressure on two of the strategic squares in the center, e5
and d4.

The Knight comes into play early in the game, in compliance with the precept:
Develop Knights before Bishops!

One reason for the cogency of this principle is that the Knight takes shorter
steps than the Bishop. It takes longer for him to get to the fighting area. The
Bishop can sweep the length of the chessboard in one move (notice how the King
Bishop can reach away over to a6. Where the Knight takes a hop, skip and jump
to get to b5, the Bishop makes it in one leap.

Another purpose in developing the Knights first is that we are fairly sure
where they belong in the opening. We know that they are most effective on
certain squares. We are not always certain of the right spot for the Bishop. We
may want the Bishop to command a long diagonal, or we may prefer to have it pin
an enemy piece. So: Bring out your Knights before developing the Bishops!

At this point you will note that Black must defend his King Pawn before going
about his business. There are several ways to protect the Pawn. He must
evaluate and choose from these possibilities:

2... f6
2... Qf6
2... Qe7
2... Bd6
2... d6
2... Nc6

How does Black decide on the right move? Must he analyze countless combinations
and try to visualize every sort of attack and defense for the next ten or
fifteen moves?

Let me hasten to assure you that a master does not waste valuable time on
futile speculation. Instead, he makes use of a potent secret weapon--position
judgment. Applying it enables him to eliminate from consideration inferior
moves, to which the average player gives much thought. He hardly glances at
moves that are obviously violations of principle!

Here is what might go through his mind as he selects the right move:

2... f6: "Terrible! My Bishop Pawn occupies a square which should be reserved
for the Knight and it also blocks the Queen's path along the diagonal. And I've
moved a Pawn when I should be developing pieces."

2... Qf6: "Bad, since my Knight belongs at B3, not the Queen. Also, I'm wasting
the power of my strongest piece to defend a Pawn."

2... Qe7: "This shuts the King Bishop out, while my Queen is doing a job which
a lesser piece could handle."

2... Bd6: "I've developed a piece, but the Queen Pawn is obstructed, and my
Queen Bishop may be buried alive."

2... d6: "Not bad, since it gives the Queen Bishop an outlet. But wait--it
limits the range of the King Bishop, and again I've moved a Pawn when I should
be putting pieces to work."

2... Nc6: "Eureka! This must be best, as I have developed a piece to its most
suitable square and protected the King Pawn at the same time."

2... Nc6!

Without going into tedious analysis, Black picks out the best possible move. He
follows the advice of the Frenchman who said, "Sortez les pieces!" He brings a
piece out and saves the King Pawn without any loss of time.

I would caution you that this and other maxims are not to be blindly followed.
In chess, as in life, rules must often be swept aside. In general though, the
principles governing sound chess play do make wonderful guide-posts, especially
in the opening, the midgame and the ending!

3. Bc4

"The best attacking piece is the King Bishop," says Tarrasch. So White puts
this piece to work and clears the way for early castling.

The Bishop seizes a valuable diagonal in the center and attacks Black's King
Bishop Pawn. This Pawn is particularly vulnerable as it is guarded by one piece
only-the King. It is not unusual even early in the game to sacrifice a piece
for this Pawn, so that the King in capturing it is uprooted, driven into the
open and exposed to a violent attack.

3... Bc5

Is this the most suitable square for the Bishop? Let us look at the
alternatives:

3... Bb4: Inferior, as the Bishop takes no part in the struggle for control of
the center and has little scope here.

3... Bd6: Poor, since the Queen Pawn is blocked, and the other Bishop may have
trouble coming out.

3... Be7: Not too bad, as the Bishop looks out on two diagonals and is well
placed for defense. At e7 the Bishop has made only one step forward, but it has
been developed once it has left the back rank. The important thing to remember
is that every piece must be put in motion.

The strongest developing move is
3... Bc5. At this excellent square the Bishop commands an important diagonal,
exerts pressure on the center and attacks a weak Pawn. This deployment conforms
with two golden rules for procedure in the opening:

Place each piece as quickly as possible on the square where it is most
effective.

Move each piece only once in the opening.

4. c3

White's primary object is to establish two Pawns in the center. He intends to
support an advance of the Queen Pawn. After 5. d4, attacking Bishop and Pawn,
Black must reply 5... exd4. The recapture by 6. cxd4 leaves White with two
Pawns in control of the center.

His secondary aim is to bring the Queen to b3, intensifying the pressure on the
King Bishop Pawn.

These are its virtues, but there are drawbacks to 4. c3:

In the opening, pieces not Pawns should be moved.

In advancing to c3, the Pawn occupies a square which should be reserved for the
Queen Knight.

4... Qe7

Very good! Black develops a piece while parrying the threat. If White persists
in playing 5. d4, the continuation 5... exd4 6. cxd4 Qxe4+ wins a Pawn. The
capture with check gives White no time to recover the Pawn, and the extra Pawn,
everything else being equal, is enough to win the game.

5. O-O

White postpones the advance of the Queen Pawn and moves his King to a safer
place. Castle early in the game, preferably on the King side.

5... d6

Supports King Pawn and Bishop and strengthens the center. Now the Queen Bishop
can get into the game.

6. d4

With the hope that Black will exchange Pawns. This would leave White with an
impressive line-up in the center, while the square c3 is then available for his
Knight. If after
6... exd4 7. cxd4 Qxe4, White punishes the Pawn-snatching by 8. Re1 pinning the
Queen.

6... Bb6

But Black need not capture! Now that his King Pawn is secure, the Bishop simply
retreats, still bearing down on the center from its new position.

Despite its formidable appearance, White's Pawn center is shaky. The Queen Pawn
is attacked three times, and White must keep a triple guard on it while trying
to complete his development. On 7. Qb3, which he contemplated earlier, the
Queen's protection is removed, while on 7. Nd2, it is cut off. Meanwhile he is
faced with the threat of 7... Bg4 pinning and thereby rendering useless one of
the Pawn's supports.

Before committing himself to a definite course of action, White sets a little
trap:

7. a4

A tricky move, but an illogical one. White threatens an attack on the Bishop by
8. a5. If then 8... Bxa5 9. d5 strikes at the Knight protecting the Bishop.
After the reply 9... Nd8, White captures by 10. Rxa5, winning a piece. Should
Black, after 8. a5, play 8... Nxa5, the continuation 9. Rxa5 Bxa5 10. Qa4+ nets
White two pieces for a Rook.

But what right has White to play combinations when his development is so
backward? An attack, such as he initiates here, is premature and should not
succeed.

Develop all your pieces before starting any combinations!

7... a6

Prepares a retreat for the Bishop. This does not violate the precept about
making unnecessary Pawn moves in the opening. Development is not meant to be
routine or automatic. Threats must always be disposed of first. If more
justification is needed, consider that Black's loss of time is compensated for
by White's fruitless 7. a4 move.

8. a5

There is just a wee chance that Black will be tempted to take the Pawn.

8... Ba7

But Black does not bite!

9. h3

A coffee-house move! Weak players make this move instinctively (yielding to
base instincts) in dire dread of having a piece pinned.

It is better to submit to the pin (a temporary inconvenience) than to prevent
it by a move which loosens the position of the Pawns defending the King and
weakens the structure permanently. Moving h3 or g3 after castling creates an
organic weakness which can never be remedied, as a Pawn once advanced cannot
retreat, and the position once altered cannot be restored. The Pawn that has
moved forward itself becomes a target for direct attack, while the square it
guarded earlier (here it is g3) makes a landing field for the enemy's troops.

"You should never, unless of necessity or to gain an advantage, move the Pawns
in front of the castled King," says Tarrasch, "for each Pawn move loosens the
position."

Alekhine puts it even stronger: "Always try to keep the three Pawns in front of
your castled King on their original squares as long as possible."

Black can now speculate on breaking up White's King side by removing his Rook
Pawn, even at the cost of a piece. The recapture tears open the Knight file and
exposes White's King to attack. This plan is of course not to be put into
action until more pieces are brought into play.

9... Nf6

The Knight swings into the fray with an attack on the King Pawn. The move is
excellent and conforms with a useful tactical device: Develop with a threat
whenever possible!

Remember, that to meet the threat, the opponent must drop whatever he is doing.

10. dxe5

White exchanges, and opens up lines for his pieces. Unfortunately this reacts
in Black's favor, in accordance with the rule in these cases:

Open lines result to the advantage of the player whose development is superior.

10... Nxe5

Much stronger than taking with the Pawn. The Queen's Knight, beautifully
centralized,     radiates power in every direction (something a Pawn cannot do).

The disappearance of White's Queen Pawn has benefited Black's Bishop, hidden
away at a7. Its range has been extended, so that it now controls the whole of
the long diagonal leading to White's Bishop Pawn-and the King behind the Pawn!

What shall White do now? He has done nothing to relieve the plight of his King
Pawn. It is still attacked by one of Black's Knights, while his Bishop is
threatened by the other.

11. Nxe5

This looks plausible, as White gets rid of a powerfully placed piece. But in
making this exchange, White's own King Knight, the best defender of the castled
position, also comes off the board. The importance of holding on to the King
Knight in such situations was pointed out by Steinitz more than seventy years
ago, when he said, "Three unmoved Pawns on the King's side in conjunction with
a minor piece form a strong bulwark against an attack on that wing." Tarrasch
attests to the valuable properties of the King Knight with a simple emphatic
statement: "A Knight at KB3(f3) is the best defense of a castled position on
the King side."

11... Qxe5

Observe that White's Knight disappeared completely from the board, but Black's
Knight has been replaced by another piece.

This new piece, the Queen, is magnificently posted at e5. She dominates the
center, bears down on the hapless King Pawn, and is poised for quick action to
any part of the board.

How does White solve the problems posed by the position of the menacing Queen
and the attacks on his King Pawn? He would love to dislodge the Queen by 12.
f4, but unfortunately the move is illegal. Can he save the Pawn?

12. Nd2

Desperately hoping that Black will snatch up the Pawn, when this would follow:
12... Nxe4 13. Nxe4 Qxe4 14. Re1, and the pin wins the Queen.

But Black is not interested in grabbing Pawns. His positional superiority is
great enough to justify his looking for a combination that will force a
conclusive win. His Bishops exert terrific pressure on the long diagonals (even
though one Bishop is still undeveloped!). Each of them attacks a Pawn shielding
the King. Black's Queen is ready to swing over to the King side, while the
Knight can leap in if more help is needed. Black controls the center, a
condition which, Capablanca says, is essential for a successful attack against
the King. In short, Black is entitled to a winning combination as reward for
his methodical position play.

The question is: Is there a target available for the explosion of this pent-up
power?

12... Bxh3!

Yes, indeed! The Rook Pawn, which innocently moved to         R3 to prevent a
pin!

Black removes the offending Pawn--fit punishment for the crime of weakening the
position and betraying his King.

13. gxh3

White must capture the Bishop or be a Pawn down with nothing to show for it.

13... Qg3+!

A crashing entrance! Notice how Black exploited the two main consequences of
the 9. h3 move. He captured the Rook Pawn itself and utilized as a point of
invasion the square g3, weakened by its advance.

14. Kh1

White may not touch the Queen, as his Bishop Pawn is pinned.

14... Qxh3+

Black destroys another defending Pawn, further exposing the King.

15. Kg1

White's only move. In return for the sacrificed Bishop, Black has two Pawns-and
the attack.

15... Ng4

Threatens mate on the          move. White must guard against the threat at his
h2 or give his King a flight-square. If he tries to give his King room by 16.
Re1, he falls into 16... Bxf2# mate. So he plays:

16. Nf3

To guard h2 and stop mate by the Queen.

How does Black conclude the attack? He reasons it out this way: I have captured
two of the Pawns near the King. If I can remove the third Pawn it will deprive
the King of the last shred of protection, and he will be helpless. This last
defender, the King Bishop Pawn, is attacked by my Knight and Bishop, and
protected by his Rook and King. I must either drive off one of the defenders or
attack the Pawn a third time. Perhaps I can do both!

16... Qg3+

Again exploiting the circumstance that the Bishop Pawn is pinned, Black attacks
it with a third piece, the Queen.

17. Kh1

The King must move to the corner and desert the Pawn. Only the Rook defends it
now, against an attack by Queen, Knight and Bishop. The Pawn must fall, and
with it the game.

17... Bxf2

Covers the King's flight-square, g1, and prevents him from returning there in
answer to a check.

18. Resigns

Black's threat was 18... Qh3+ 19. Nh2 Qxh2# mate. Since 18. Rxf2 runs into
18... Nxf2# mate, there was no escape.