[bksvol-discuss] Re: writing topics please

  • From: Mayrie ReNae <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 21:26:58 -0800

Hi Julia,

Here are the writing topics, and the brief instructions for completing them.

Enjoy.

Peace,
Mayrie

NEXT WEEK'S WRITING TOPICS
Choose one of the first three topics to bring to next week's meeting. These three topics are especially designed to help you to focus on using imagery. Remember to keep the piece, or part of a piece that you bring to share to something that can be read aloud in five minutes or less, about 1000 words.

1. Write about a bus or train station, or an airport. Try for fresh and appropriate imagery. Choose any point of view, yours, or perhaps that of a character you are working with lately.

2. Here is a list of common objects and actions. Use them to create some very short, unique and appropriate images. Clouds, moon, ice cream cone, dead trees lining a parkway, a broken sidewalk, a faded pair of blue jeans. Walking down the street, going home, eating a very crisp apple, falling asleep in school, waking on a very cold morning, changing gears on a ten-speed bike.

3.  Begin with the phrase "I remember" and start writing. It doesn't matter
 whether you stick with one memory or list several. You can retrieve memories
from as far back as childhood (or past lives!) to as recently as yesterday. If you get stuck just keep repeating the phrase "I remember," in writing, until something else forms in your consciousness. Don't even be concerned with the authenticity of the memory. Just record whatever comes to you. Memory is full of sensory images, find them in your memories.

4  Non-memories may involve parts of the past you have difficulty recalling.
 They may include what has been absent from your life: I don't remember
 having my own bedroom. They might even be humorous or sarcastic: I
 don't remember ordering a blizzard for the day I was supposed to fly to the
 Bahamas.
This time, begin with the phrase, "I don't remember," and fill up a page. If you
 draw a blank at any point, repeat the phrase "I don't remember," in writing,
 until something else forms in your consciousness. Notice if one of these non-
memories suggests a section of a piece, an experience for one of your characters, or perhaps a topic to write about. Notice what subjects of non-memories emerge: are they the same themes you often write about? If not, further explore one of the
 new ones some other time.

5.  Write on any topic that has been nagging at you to explore it.

   At 07:31 PM 11/25/2007, you wrote:
Hi Mayrie and list friends. Could someone please email me the writing topics for last weeks session. I plan to attend this weeks one and I'd like to have a piece prepared to read to the group. Thanks, Julia
myemail address is
julia.kulak@xxxxxxxxxxxx