[bksvol-discuss] Re: strange new book listing

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 22:02:45 EST

Here is something else that seems a little strange. I was just browsing the
list of books ready to be checked out. It was in sort by quality mode with 100
titles displayed per page. When I finished the first page I clicked the link
to page two and started browsing down that list. I do believe that there were
titles on page two that I had just passed on page one.

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: strange new book listing
Date:
1/19/2009 9:41:33 PM Eastern Standard Time
From:
popularplace@xxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Carrie and I have been in correspondence about that
and she's written a request to the engineers. She
tells me when she's finished approving books at night
so I can finish my books-added list and mail it
out--but the table view and list view to not coincide.
Books appear on the table view before the list view
but, as you know, they don't have the synopsis, which
recipients of my lists like to have. Two nights ago
the last book Carrie approved did not show up on the
list view until after midnight, when it was the first
of the new day's list. Last night she told me of the 3
books she added but they didn't show up on the list
view until well over an hour later. At least by
knowing what they were I could go to the collection
and get the brief synopsis from there and so send out
the complete list of books added yesterday.

She's also asking engineering to add Today as a choice
for viewing books added. You may have noticed that one
week, one month, etc., are the only choices now,
whereas on the old site today and  two-day as well
were choices. And the default seems to be one month,
so if you want to see the newest books added you have
to remember to go to one week. We both think it would
be better either to have a different default or to be
able to retain what you choose, just as the choice of
how many books on the list you view is or should be
retained.

There are some things about this new site that I like,
but there are some things I preferred on the old site.
During beta testing some of these things didn't show
up as problems because they weren't being used under
real-world conditions, if that's the right term.

If anyone isn't getting my email list of books added
daily and would like to receive it so you don't have
to check online every day, just let me know. Below is
a sample of what the list looks like. There are
actually two--one that has *all* the books added today
(today being Pacific time; the list goes out between
10 p.m. and 2 a.m. the next morning pacific time,
depending on when Carrie finished adding books to the
bookshare list) and one that includes only books for
adults, not children-to-young adults.

Cindy

***Purple Panties: An Eroticnoir.com Anthology  2008
by Zane
Fiction
Synopsis: Stories of lesbian erotica, compiled by
Zane. This book does contain adult content.
Copyright date: 2008

***The Irish Manor House Murder
by Deere, Dicey
Fiction
Synopsis: Ever seeking peace and quiet for her
writing, Torrey Tunet believes she has found it in the
quaint village of Ballynagh, nestled in the hills of
rural Ireland. But something-she can't quite put her
finger on it-is awry.
Copyright date: 2000

***Forgiveness: A Legacy Of The West Nickel Mines
Amish School
by Ruth, John
Nonfiction
Synopsis: A look at the unconditional forgiveness
offered by the Amish after the terrible school
shootings of 2006.
Copyright: 2007

WISH LIST (CALLED REQUESTED ADDITIONS TO THE BOOKSHARE COLLECTION)IS
AVAILABLE AT
www.lljfm.net/bookshare/home.htm

http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/
www.lljfm.net/bookshare/home.htm