[bksvol-discuss] Re: searching for isbn on google

  • From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 06:46:01 -0800

Hi Debby,

Sometimes the ISBN in the book is wrong. Publishers are people, too, and sometimes make mistakes. In other words, you typed in exactly what was in the book for the ISBN, but what was in the book was a mistake. The reason the bookshare page knew not to accept it is that the last digit in the ISBN is mathematically related to the other numbers. The purpose of this last digit is supposed to be to prevent errors, but that only works when you are entering it in software that knows the formula for a proper ISBN (like the bookshare web page). When someone is just putting it into a file that is used to print the book, mistakes can be made.

I learned all this because I occasionally sell books online. In fact, I learned about bookshare in a discussion group for people who buy and sell books online where someone mentioned some of the books she had recently bought were for bookshare, a site where they make books accessible to visually impaired people.

Misha

Debby Franson wrote:
Hi everyone!

This discussion got me to remember when I have submitted books in the past. Sometimes, even when I knew for sure that the ISBN was correct, why did the Bookshare tool reject the ISBN and wouldn't let me upload the book until I left that field blank on the form? I always thought that was odd.

Debby

At 10:09 AM 12/20/2009, Roger Loran Bailey wrote
Enter the title and author and the letters ISBN. Then see if any of your results contain it. If there are various editions of the book there will be different ISBNs, so it is good to know which edition you have, e.g., hardcover, trade paperback, mass market paperback, etcetera. Depending on the book, especially if it is an older one, there may be no ISBN. "I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press:
http://www.pathfinderpress.com