[bksvol-discuss] scanning request from non-list member--and OT: Latin

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 16:10:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, friends,

An off-list member who does careful scanning but
dropped off the list  asked me how to pose a request
to the wish list. I gave her instructions how to get
there but I said I'd also ask here.

She'd like to learn Latin, so she's asked for some
for some books to help her learn on her own--grammar
and vocabulary. How I wish I'd kept my high school
first-year Latin text. Amo, amas, amat, amamus,
amatis, amant .. is about all I remember-- and
Britannia est insula-- or is it Britania  insula est.
I know the verb usually comes at the end of the
sentence, but my faulty memory wants to say Britannia
est insula. Italia no est insula. Italia est
paeninsula. But then It was over 50 years ago.

The other book she mentioned is Alan Alda's memoir.