[bksvol-discuss] Re: renewing downloads

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <GeraldHovas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 09:09:47 -0600

Dan,

I don't think this info's on the site or even documented anywhere.

As far as I've been able to determine, the book expires on the 7th day you
have it out, and I think the renew link appears on the 5th, but I'd renew it
just as soon as you discover it.

The problem you have to watch for is renewing right after midnight if you're
not on Pacific Time since, as far as I can tell, once Bookshare hits
midnight, you'll be on your second day.

I had a book expire once because I downloaded it around 12:30 a.m. Central
Time then didn't renew when I first had the chance thinking I had an
additional day, because by my count, it was only day 5.  Bookshare
apparently considered it day 6, though, because the book expired the next
morning.

BTW, looks like they expire around 4:30 a.m. Pacific, so you'll need to
renew by the night of day 6 unless you're up before that time on day 7 and
can renew it.

Oh yeah, only use this info as a guideline since I'm not 100% sure that it's
correct.  The only real way to know is to inspect the code or to
intentionally let books expire in order to test what  Bookshare's doing, and
I obviously haven't seen the code, nor have I been intentionally letting
books expire to test how the system truely works.

HTH

Gerald

  _____