[bksvol-discuss] Re: questions about scanning with Kurzweil 1000 and editing with a braille display

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2015 15:14:23 -0400

I can't answer your questions about editing in braille with the Braille Sense; Dean has already done that very well anyway. But I can tell you that K1000 is very good at retaining page breaks. I've scanned around 700 books with it, and I can't recall the last time, or if ever, it didn't keep a page break.
Assuming Dean is correct, (and that's a very safe assumption), you'll have to do your formatting in K1000 itself. It's word processor is not quite as versatile as that of MS Word, but it will do pretty much whatever you need to do to get a book ready for proofreading; nothing really esoteric is needed.
Evan

-----Original Message----- From: Mary Sefzik
Sent: Saturday, September 05, 2015 1:24 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] questions about scanning with Kurzweil 1000 and editing with a braille display

Hello,
I am a long time bookshare member who has recently begun scanning books again.
I scanned and submitted books several years ago but understand the rules for formatting have changed.
I scan using Kurzweil 1000 and my primary method of editing scans is my Braille Sense notetaker. I have the latest model with the most current update.
I would appreciate tips from other Braille scanners and editrs on scanner software settings to insure page breaks and other necessary formatting remain in tact. Braille users: how can you tell if page breaks are present and is there a way, using a Braille Sense, to insert missing page breaks?
Five books I am currently working on include: the last three books in the Gods and Kings series "Lynn Austin (the first book is in the collection but I would love to see this captivating series completed) Almost Heaven by Kris Fabrye, and In My Seat: a Pilot's story of 9-11.
I look forward to your suggesttions and to contributing to a collection which has provided many hours of enjoyment for me. enjoy your Labor Day weekend and happy national literacy month!
Mary Sefzik To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to