[bksvol-discuss] Re: paragraph marks

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 15:02:44 -0500

Hi Tracy, I don't know if the following will work for you, but here's how I find incorrect paragraph marks using Word 2010 or Word 2003.

1. Bring up the "search and replace" box.
2. In the search line type in exactly the following: ^13([a-z]) (that is caret 13 left parenthesis square bracket lower case a hyphen lower case z right square bracket right parenthesis)
3. In the replace line type in exactly the following: \1 (that is, blank space back slash numeral 1)
4. Select the "more" button with an alt m or tab to get to the additional options within the search and replace box
5. Select the "use wildcards" by either pressing the alt key then the u key, or tabbing to that option and clicking to select it.

Then start searching for each instance. You will have to examine each instance separately, because this technique will also find paragraph marks at the top of pages that correctly separate a page number from the first sentence of text when that sentence starts with a lower case letter.

When you're done with this search, make sure to go back to the search and replace dialog box and uncheck the "use wildcards" option. If you don't, it will really mess up future searches.

I hope that makes it a little easier.

As an aside, just as an explanation, smile, while they may not make a difference to you as a braille reader, for a member like myself who is disabled but sighted the incorrect paragraph marks can really adversely affect reading. When a sentence is broken apart by hard paragraph marks it interrupts the flow of the text, negatively impacting reading the way I imagine a badly scanned word or sentence filled with garbage characters might impact a blind reader. For a visual reader, it's sort of like listening to a song that is interrupted randomly with static or a second of silence, and then continued.

Judy s.
Follow me on Twitter at QuackersNCheese <https://twitter.com/QuackersNCheese>
On 10/7/2015 9:10 AM, Tracy Carcione wrote:

Is there an easy way to find paragraph marks that need to be replaced with spaces? I am using Office 2010, horrible as it is. I could also use Office 2003.

Really, I don’t see why these marks are a big deal. I’m a braille reader, and they make no difference to me at all.

Tracy