[bksvol-discuss] Re: novels about the ancient world

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 03:00:47 -0400

For Ancient Greece there are Mary Renault"s series:
1. The King Must Die &
2. The Bull From the Sea  on the Legend of Theseus
3. The Last of the Wine - the time of Sophocles and the "republic" or what was
considered democracy. [It was a beginning]
4. The Mask of Apollo - the time of Plato and the role of the actor as messenger
5. The Praise Singer - the life of the" poet Simonides in 6th c. Greece during
the time of the tyrants, the Persian wars, and a flowering of the arts." [from
book cover]

And  for Ancient Persia she gives us

6. Fire From Heaven - the childhood and growing to manhood of Alexander and his
tutor, Aristotle.
7. The Persian Boy - Alexander and the eastern conquests
8. The Funeral Games - The death of  Alexander and the "heirs" - fighting for
the spoils.

and for non-fiction she gave us The Nature of Alexander

the first two on Theseus may need rescanning. The only other ones currently in
the collection are the 3 novels on Alexander. The  middle ones cover the years
least known, I think, in terms of the daily life of the citizens of Athens and
Greece during the Peloponnesian wars. She makes the whole period come alive.

Amy