[bksvol-discuss] new non fiction books at my library

  • From: "Jamie Yates, CPhT" <mirxtech@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bookshare Volunteers <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 21:10:29 -0500

Conversations with William F. Buckley Jr.
by William F, III Meehan
Published 2009 by University Press of Mississippi

Paperback, English. ISBN: 9781604732252
Find this book in our catalog.
Jacket Notes:
This collection features interviews from 1970 to 2005, in which Buckley, one
of the principal architects of the American conservative movement, holds
court on a variety of subjects: the Cold War, civil rights, literature, and
the many strands of American culture and politics. Although recognized for
founding "National Review," hosting television's "Firing Line," and being
one of the principal architects of the American conservative movement,
William F. Buckley Jr. (1925-2008) was also a prominent literary figure. At
his peak he produced about 350,000 words for publication a year, and he was
never at a loss for what to say or how to say it. He wrote over 7,000
columns, articles, reviews, introductions, forewords, obituaries, and more,
in addition to publishing fifty-seven books of fiction and
nonfiction."Conversations with William F. Buckley Jr." features interviews
from 1970 to 2005, in which Buckley holds court on a variety of subjects:
the Cold War, civil rights, literature, sailing, and the many strands of
American culture and politics. Throughout his life, he was a prime subject
for interviews, as his observations combined raw intelligence, vigorous wit,
and a healthy sense of humor.

Occult America: The Secret History of How Mysticism Shaped Our Nation
by Mitch Horowitz
Published 2009 by Bantam

Hardcover, English. ISBN: 9780553806755
Find this book in our catalog.
Jacket Notes:
It touched lives as disparate as those of Frederick Douglass, Franklin
Roosevelt, and Mary Todd Lincoln--who once convinced her husband, Abe, to
host a seance in the White House. Americans all, they were among the famous
figures whose paths intertwined with the mystical and esoteric movement
broadly known as the occult. Brought over from the Old World and spread
throughout the New by some of the most obscure but gifted men and women of
early U.S. history, this "hidden wisdom" transformed the spiritual life of
the still-young nation and, through it, much of the Western world.

Yet the story of the American occult has remained largely untold. Now a
leading writer on the subject of alternative spirituality brings it out of
the shadows. Here is a rich, fascinating, and colorful history of a
religious revolution and an epic of offbeat history.

From the meaning of the symbols on the one-dollar bill to the origins of the
Ouija board," " Occult America briskly sweeps from the nation's earliest
days to the birth of the New Age era and traces many people and episodes,
including:

-The spirit medium who became America's first female religious leader in
1776

-The supernatural passions that marked the career of Mormon prophet Joseph
Smith

-The rural Sunday-school teacher whose clairvoyant visions instigated the
dawn of the New Age

-The prominence of mind-power mysticism in the black-nationalist politics of
Marcus Garvey

-The Idaho druggist whose mail-order mystical religion ranked as the
eighth-largest faith in the world during the Great Depression

Here, too, are America's homegrown religious movements, from
transcendentalism to spiritualism to Christian Science to the
positive-thinking philosophy that continues to exert such a powerful pull on
the public today. A feast for believers in alternative spirituality, an
eye-opener for anyone curious about the unknown byroads of American history,
Occult America is an engaging, long-overdue portrait of one nation, under
many gods, whose revolutionary influence is still being felt in every corner
of the globe.

Love and War: Finding the Marriage You've Dreamed of
by John Eldredge
Published 2009 by Doubleday Religion

Hardcover, English. ISBN: 9780385529808
Find this book in our catalog.
Jacket Notes:
Offering insights from their own marriage, the Eldredges explore flaws that
can drain relationships--fear, self-centeredness, doubt, emotional pain, and
self-protection--to help couples establish the bond God desires them to
have. (Relationships) What the Eldredge bestsellers "Wild at Heart" did for
men, and "Captivating "did for women, LOVE & WAR will do for married couples
everywhere. John and Stasi Eldredge have contributed the quintessential
works on Christian spirituality through the experience of men and the
experience of women and now they turn their focus to the incredible dynamic
between those two forces.

With refreshing openness that will grab readers from the first page, the
Eldredges candidly discuss their own marriage and the insights they've
gained from the challenges they faced. Each talks independently to the
reader about what they've learned, giving their guidance personal immediacy
and a balance between the male and female perspectives that has been absent
from all previous books on this topic. They begin LOVE & WAR with an obvious
but necessary acknowledgement: Marriage is fabulously hard. They advise that
the sooner we get the shame and confusion off our backs, the sooner we'll
find our way through.

LOVE & WAR shows couples how to fight for their love and happiness, calling
men and women to step into the great adventure God has waiting for them
together. Walking alongside John and Stasi Eldredge, every couple can
discover how their individual journeys are growing into a story of meaning
much greater than anything they could do or be on their own.

Sapphistries: A Global History of Love Between Women
by Leila J Rupp
Published 2009 by New York University Press

Hardcover, English. ISBN: 9780814775929
Find this book in our catalog.
Jacket Notes:
From the ancient poet Sappho to "tombois" in contemporary Indonesia, women
throughout history and around the globe have desired, loved, and had sex
with other women. In beautiful prose, Sapphistries tells their stories,
capturing the multitude of ways that diverse societies have shaped female
same-sex sexuality across time and place.Leila J. Rupp reveals how, from the
time of the very earliest societies, the possibility of love between women
has been known, even when it is feared, ignored, or denied. We hear women in
the sex-segregated spaces of convents and harems whispering words of love.
We see women beginning to find each other on the streets of London and
Amsterdam, in the aristocratic circles of Paris, in the factories of
Shanghai. We find women's desire and love for women meeting the light of day
as Japanese schoolgirls fall in love, and lesbian bars and clubs spread from
1920s Berlin to 1950s Buffalo. And we encounter a world of difference in the
twenty-first century, as transnational concepts and lesbian identities meet
local understandings of how two women might love each other.Giving voice to
words from the mouths and pens of women, and from men's prohibitions,
reports, literature, art, imaginings, pornography, and court cases, Rupp
also creatively employs fiction to imagine possibilities when there is no
historical evidence. Sapphistries combines lyrical narrative with meticulous
historical research, providing an eminently readable and uniquely sweeping
story of desire, love, and sex between women around the globe from the
beginning of time to the present.

Getting What We Deserve: Health and Medical Care in America
by Alfred Sommer
Published 2009 by Johns Hopkins University Press

Hardcover, English. ISBN: 9780801893872
Find this book in our catalog.
Jacket Notes:
One of America's leading public health experts finds a host of ills in this
country's health care system: The United States spends nearly twice as much
on health care as the rest of the developed world, yet has higher infant
mortality rates and shorter longevity than most nations. We have access to
many different drugs that accomplish the same end at varying costs, and
nearly all are cheaper abroad. Our life span had doubled over the past
century before we developed effective drugs to treat most diseases or even
considered altering the human genome. The benefits of almost all newly
developed treatments are marginal, while their costs are high.In his blunt
assessment of the state of public health in America, Alfred Sommer argues
that human behavior has a stronger effect on wellness than almost any other
factor.Despite exciting advances in genomic research and cutting-edge
medicine, Sommer explains, most illness can be avoided or managed with
simple, low-tech habits such as proper hand washing, regular exercise, a
balanced diet, and not smoking. But, as he also shows, this is easier said
than done.Sommer finds that our fascination with medical advances sometimes
keeps us from taking responsibility for our individual well-being. Instead
of focusing on prevention, we wait for medical science to cure us once we
become sick.Humorous, sometimes acerbic, and always well informed, Sommer's
thought-provoking book will change the way you look at health care in
America.

Storms of My Grandchildren: The Truth about the Coming Climate Catastrophe
and Our Last Chance to Save Humanity
by James Hansen
Published 2009 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC

Hardcover, English. ISBN: 9781608192007
Find this book in our catalog.
Jacket Notes:
An urgent and provocative call to action from the world's leading climate
scientist--speaking out here for the first time with the full story of what
we need to know about humanity's last chance to get off the path to a
catastrophic global meltdown, and why we don't know the half of it. In
"Storms of My Grandchildren," Dr. James Hansen--the nation's leading
scientist on climate issues--speaks out for the first time with the full
truth about global warming: The planet is hurtling even more rapidly than
previously acknowledged to a climatic point of no return. Although the
threat of human-caused climate change is now widely recognized, politicians
have failed to connect policy with the science, responding instead with
ineffectual remedies dictated by special interests. Hansen shows why
President Obama's solution, cap-and-trade, which Al Gore has signed on to,
won't work; why we must phase out all coal, and why 350 ppm of carbon
dioxide is a goal we must achieve if our children and grandchildren are to
avoid global meltdown and the storms of the book's title. This urgent
manifesto bucks conventional wisdom (including the Kyoto Protocol) and is
sure to stir controversy, but Hansen--whose climate predictions have come to
pass again and again, beginning in the 1980s when he first warned Congress
about global warming--is the single most credible voice on the subject
worldwide. Hansen paints a devastating but all-too-realistic picture of what
will happen in the near future, mere years and decades from now, if we
follow the course we're on. But he is also an optimist, showing that there
is still time to do what we need to save the planet. Urgent, strong action
is needed, and this book, released to coincide with the Copenhagen
Conference in December 2009, will be key in setting the agenda going forward
to create a groundswell, a tipping point, to save humanity--and our
grandchildren--from a dire fate more imminent than we had supposed. Learn
more at www.stormsofmygrandchildren.com Dr. James Hansen, perhaps best known
for bringing global warming to the world's attention in the 1980s when he
first testified before Congress, is an adjunct professor at the Department
of Earth and Environmental Sciences at Columbia University and at Columbia's
Earth Institute, and director of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space
Studies. He has appeared on "60 Minutes," "ABC News Tonight," "Anderson
Cooper," "Charlie Rose"; has been interviewed in the "New York Times "and
profiled in the "New Yorker"; and has written for the "Boston Globe," the
"Nation," the "New York Review of Books," and "Scientific American." This is
his first book. In "Storms of My Grandchildren," Dr. James Hansen--the
more at www.stormsofmygrandchildren.com

Mad about Trade: Why Main Street America Should Embrace Globalization
by Daniel T Griswold
Published 2009 by Cato Institute

Hardcover, English. ISBN: 9781935308195
Find this book in our catalog.
Jacket Notes:
Mad about Trade is the much-needed antidote to a rising tide of
protectionist sentiment in the United States. The book explains the benefits
of free trade and globalization for middle-class, Main Street Americans
exposed to a barrage of negative claims from politicians and commentators
such as Lou Dobbs. It offers a spirited defense of free trade and
globalization that engages the populists on their own turf. In eight timely
and provocative chapters, the book shows how middle- and low-income families
benefit from import competition, and how a more globalized U.S. economy has
created better jobs and higher living standards for American workers through
the ups and downs of the business cycle.

Living Well Beyond Breast Cancer: A Survivor's Guide for When Treatment Ends
and the Rest of Your Life Begins (Updated)
by Marisa C Weiss
Published 2010 by Three Rivers Press (CA)

Paperback, English. ISBN: 9780307460226
Find this book in our catalog.
Jacket Notes:
This fully revised and updated edition of "Living Beyond Breast Cancer,"
fromone of the country's leading breast cancer activists and experts,
contains animpressive depth and breadth of essential information. What do I
do now? Why am I still so tired? Am I really cured? How do I reduce my risk
of recurrence? Is it safe for me to get pregnant? How do I get rid of the
hot flashes so I can sleep?

This fully revised and updated second edition contains crucial information
about these issues and more--including the revolutionary medical advances in
follow-up testing, ongoing treatments, and recovery. With answers for
everything from how to deal with hair loss and weight gain to finding online
support groups and understanding healthy foods and supplements, Living Well
Beyond Breast Cancer contains a greater depth and breadth of information in
its enhanced chapters--plus all-new chapters that cover current treatment
options and preventative tips for those at high risk for developing breast
cancer.

Enhanced Chapters:

- Tests: Peer, Poke, and Prod

- After Mastectomy: Re-creating a Breast with or Without Surgery

- Intimacy, Sex, and Your Love Life: Relieving Discomfort and Increasing
Libido

- A Child in Your Future: Fertility, Pregnancy, and Adoption

- Reducing Your Risk: Living Well

All-New Information:

- Pre-Survivors: Risks and Prevention

- Thinking and Remembering: Clearing the Fog and Sharpening Your Mind

- Bone Health: Weakness Explained and Strengthening Exercises

- Sleep: Restoration and Renewal

With this book as your guide, you'll have the tools not just to live beyond
breast cancer, but to live well and well beyond this challenge in your life!

The About.com Guide to Southern Cooking: All You Need to Prepare 225
Delicious Home Cooked Favorites
by Diana Rattray
Published 2006 by Adams Media Corporation

Paperback, English. ISBN: 9781598690965
Find this book in our catalog.
Jacket Notes:
The About.com Guide to Southern Cooking is an entertaining, flavor-filled
primer to this uniquely American cuisine. From grits and gravy to sweet
potato pie, readers learn the basic techniques and tried-and-true secrets of
making authentic Southern foods. Featuring everything from classic soul food
to French-influenced Cajun fare, The About.com Guide to Southern Cooking
offers an inviting introduction to America's favorite cuisine.

Eating Animals
by Jonathan Safran Foer
Published 2009 by Little Brown and Company

Hardcover, English. ISBN: 9780316069908
Find this book in our catalog.
Jacket Notes:

Jonathan Safran Foer spent much of his teenage and college years oscillating
between omnivore and vegetarian. But on the brink of fatherhood-facing the
prospect of having to make dietary choices on a child's behalf-his casual
questioning took on an urgency His quest for answers ultimately required him
to visit factory farms in the middle of the night, dissect the emotional
ingredients of meals from his childhood, and probe some of his most primal
instincts about right and wrong. Brilliantly synthesizing philosophy,
literature, science, memoir and his own detective work, "Eating Animals"
explores the many fictions we use to justify our eating habits-from folklore
to pop culture to family traditions and national myth-and how such tales can
lull us into a brutal forgetting. Marked by Foer's profound moral ferocity
and unvarying generosity, as well as the vibrant style and creativity that
made his previous books, "Everything is Illuminated" and "Extremely Loud and
Incredibly Close," widely loved, "Eating Animals" is a celebration and a
reckoning, a story about the stories we've told-and the stories we now need
to tell.

The We Generation: Raising Socially Responsible Kids
by Michael Ungar
Published 2009 by Da Capo Lifelong Books

Paperback, English. ISBN: 9780738213781
Find this book in our catalog.
Jacket Notes:
Wouldn't it be nice if your child committed herself to doing a simple act of
kindness every day? As today's culture seems to grow more self-centered and
obsessed with "me," Dr. Michael Ungar refreshingly points the way to raising
"we" thinkers. Perhaps most inspiring about Ungar's findings: today's kids
are "eager" to help out and be noticed. What they need, though, is
compassion, encouragement, and attentiveness to their most important
connections--those made at home. By recounting the inspiring stories of his
work with families, Ungar reveals how the emotional bond kids crave and the
support adults provide can help our children realize their full potential.
Filled with practical tips, this guide will inspire every child and adult to
be their best, most giving self.

Over 40 & You're Hired!: Secrets to Landing a Great Job
by Robin Ryan
Published 2009 by Penguin Books

Paperback, English. ISBN: 9780143116981
Find this book in our catalog.
Jacket Notes:
A vital new job search approach customized for people over forty- from the
author of "60 Seconds & You're Hired!"

With unemployment hitting all time highs, the over- forty crowd is
struggling to land new jobs. America's top career counselor offers her
market-tested program that shows readers how to effectively stand out and
appeal to employers amid age discrimiA-nation and floods of competition.

"In Over 40 & You're Hired!," Robin Ryan will inspire readers to jump-start
their careers and secure new, better-paying jobs. She encourages them to tap
into the "hidden job market" (where 80 percent of all jobs are found),
explains how to create targeted resumes and master the interview, and
outlines how to overcome any age-related stereotypes they may encounter in
their job hunt. Ryan has created a guide of valuable advice and detailed
explanations culled from over twenty years of experience as a career
counselor that people over forty will find indispensible as they look for
work.

I See Your Dream Job: A Career Intuitive Shows You How to Discover What You
Were Put on Earth to Do
by Sue Frederick
Published 2009 by St. Martin's Press

Hardcover, English. ISBN: 9780312554200
Find this book in our catalog.
Jacket Notes:
In this first-ever book to combine ancient mystical teachings with current
career knowledge, intuitive Frederick reveals how to read destiny clues and
create a practical plan for moving forward. Have you ever wondered what you
were truly meant to do in life? Have you ever felt that you have a higher
calling? Let career intuitive Sue Frederick show you the way. In this
first-ever book to combine ancient mystical teach - ings with current career
knowledge, Sue reveals how to read destiny clues (the way she reads them for
clients) and create a practical plan for moving forward. She illuminates the
negative patterns stopping you in your tracks and teaches you to remove
them. You walk away with a fresh perspective on your life's direction, and a
realization of how powerful you truly are. This is a book for: -Anyone who
feels stuck in a job -Anyone who feels unfulfilled at work -Anyone who
questions if they're on the right track -Anyone who yearns to do something
more creative -Anyone who dreams of a different path -Anyone who has been
fired -Anyone who has been downsized -Anyone who is underpaid and
underappreciated -Anyone who simply wants something different

Dangerously Funny: The Uncensored Story of the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour
by David Bianculli
Published 2009 by Touchstone Books

Hardcover, English. ISBN: 9781439101162
Find this book in our catalog.
Jacket Notes:
"Dangerously Funny" presents a rollicking history of the rise and fall of
the wildly influential '60s TV show, and it's lasting influence on the
cultural landscape. A behind-the-scenes look at the rise and fall of "The
Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour" -- the provocative, politically charged
program that shocked the censors, outraged the White House, and forever
changed the face of television. Decades before "The Daily Show," "The
Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour" proved there was a place on television for
no-holds-barred political comedy with a decidedly antiauthoritarian point of
view. In this explosive, revealing history of the show, veteran
entertainment journalist David Bianculli tells the fascinating story of its
three-year network run -- and the cultural impact that's still being felt
today. Before it was suddenly removed from the CBS lineup (reportedly under
pressure from the Nixon administration), "The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour"
was a ratings powerhouse. It helped launch the careers of comedy legends
such as Steve Martin and Rob Reiner, featured groundbreaking musical acts
like the Beatles and the Who, and served as a cultural touchstone for the
antiwar movement of the late 1960s. Drawing on extensive original interviews
with Tom and Dick Smothers and dozens of other key players -- as well as
more than a decade's worth of original research --" Dangerously Funny"
brings readers behind the scenes for all the battles over censorship,
mind-blowing musical performances, and unforgettable sketches that defined
the show and its era. David Bianculli delves deep into this riveting story,
to find out what "really" happened and to reveal why this show remains so
significant to this day.

The Ultimate Super Bowl Book: A Complete Reference to the STATS, Stars, and
Stories Behind Football's Biggest Game-And Why the Best Team Won
by Bob McGinn
Published 2009 by MVP Books

Paperback, English. ISBN: 9780760336519
Find this book in our catalog.
Jacket Notes:
The The ultimate reference for the ultimate sports event, this book puts you
on the sidelines at football's annual big game, with year-by-year game
summaries, play-by-play accounts, detailed stats, and insightful quotes from
the players and coaches who were there. Along with profiles of every Super
Bowl game played since 1967, this fascinating volume includes features on
the best (and worst) individual performances in Super Bowl history, an
extensive collection of all-time Super Bowl records, and complete player and
coaching rosters for every game. More than just an examination of each
season's championship contest, "The Ultimate Super Bowl Book" is a
definitive study of the game of football itself. Based on interviews with
more than 150 coaches, scouts, and players, as well as hundreds of hours
studying game tape, award-winning sportswriter Bob McGinn reveals the inner
workings of the sport and what it takes to build a champion. The book takes
you beyond the glitz of the game---the flashy halftime shows and
multimillion-dollar commercials---to offer a work of true football
scholarship that will delight readers with its hardcore analysis and
in-depth accounts of what really happened on the field that day. "The
Ultimate Super Bowl Book" is an indispensable resource for fans of all ages
and passions.

Book Description

For more than four decades, the Super Bowl has been the greatest spectacle
in sports. But beyond the bright lights and hype of the annual "Big Game,"
beyond the highlight reels or the famous commercials that are replayed again
and again, beyond the familiar storylines that fans have come to know
oh-so-well---the most important football game of the year was played and
coached on those fateful days. Written by award-winning sportswriter Bob
McGinn, "The Ultimate Super Bowl Book" is not only a penetrating look at
each season's ultimate game for the last 40-plus years, but also one of the
definitive works on the game of football itself. Based on interviews with
more than 150 head coaches, assistant coaches, scouts, and players that he
conducted while researching the book for more than four years, as well as
hundreds of hours studying game tape, "The Ultimate Super Bowl Book" reveals
the little-known strategies, game plans and adjustments, and integral
match-ups that were pivotal points for creating championships and dynasties
for one team, and heartbreak for another. Combining the taut, driving prose
and unique statistical approach that has made McGinn one of the
ground-breaking football writers working today, "The Ultimate Super Bowl
Book" forgoes the glitz of the game and is instead a work of football
scholarship that will delight readers with its hardcore analysis and
accounts of what really happened on the field that day. Additional features
also make it an essential reference guide, with complete statistics for
every game (including the first-ever listing of individual defensive
statistics, in addition to complete offensive and team stats), the
first-ever listing of every assistant coach who ever coached in the game,
jersey numbers for every player, the heights and weights of each starter,
and an appendix of Super Bowl records. Fans will love poring over and
debating McGinn's many top 10 lists that are spread throughout the book,
including the best and worst plays, coaching and player performances,
blunders, and more. Destined to shed new light on the games behind the media
circus, "The Ultimate Super Bowl Book" is a must-read for fans of famous
games and teams, as well as an indispensable resource for coaches and
players at all levels of football. It is a revelation for any football
enthusiast, from diehard season-ticket holders to fantasy-football players
to football video-game addicts.

Your Flying Car Awaits: Robot Butlers, Lunar Vacations, and Other Dead-Wrong
Predictions of the Twentieth Century
by Paul Milo
Published 2009 by Harper Paperbacks

Paperback, English. ISBN: 9780061724602
Find this book in our catalog.
Jacket Notes:
Talking dolphins . . . Underwater cities . . . Two-hundred-year life spans .
. . Welcome to the present! People have always imagined what life would be
like in the future. Most of the time they've been wrong. Often they were
really, really wrong. "Your Flying Car Awaits" looks at the most outrageous
predictions from twentieth-century scientists, novelists, and social
commentators, detailing the technolo-gies and philosophies that led some
great (and not so great) minds to think the ridiculous was achievable.
Includes phenomenally inaccurate predictions such as: Space tourism will be
ubiquitous by the year 2000 Nuclear explosives will be used for commercial
demolition Engineered and man-made oceans will cover the planet Weather will
be as predictable and controllable as a train schedule An eye-opening,
fascinating, and endlessly entertaining collec-tion of truly boneheaded
scientific predictions from the past hundred years, "Your Flying Car Awaits"
shines an illuminating light on the people of the previous century by
examining the ridiculous theories they envisioned about this one.

Eating the Dinosaur
by Chuck Klosterman
Published 2009 by Scribner Book Company

Hardcover, English. ISBN: 9781416544203
Find this book in our catalog.
Jacket Notes:
The bestselling author of "Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs" returns with an
all-original nonfiction collection of questions and answers about pop
culture, sports, and the meaning of reality. A Book of All-New Pop Culture
Pieces by Chuck KlostermanChuck Klosterman has chronicled rock music, film,
and sports for almost fifteen years. He's covered extreme metal, extreme
nostalgia, disposable art, disposable heroes, life on the road, life through
the television, urban uncertainty and small-town weirdness. Through a
variety of mediums and with a multitude of motives, he's written about
everything he can think of (and a lot that he's forgotten). The world keeps
accelerating, but the pop ideas keep coming. In "Eating the Dinosaur,"
Klosterman is more entertaining and incisive than ever. Whether he's
dissecting the boredom of voyeurism, the reason why music fan's inevitably
hate their favorite band's latest album, or why we love watching can't-miss
superstars fail spectacularly, Klosterman remains obsessed with the
relationship between expectation, reality, and living history. It's amateur
anthropology for the present tense, and sometimes it's incredibly funny.Q:
What is this book about?A: Well, that's difficult to say. I haven't read it
yet - I've just clicked on it and casually glanced at this webpage. There
clearly isn't a plot. I've heard there's a lot of stuff about time travel in
this book, and quite a bit about violence and Garth Brooks and why Germans
don't laugh when they're inside grocery stores. Ralph Nader and Ralph
Sampson play significant roles. I think there are several pages about Rear
Window and football and "Mad Men" and why Rivers Cuomo prefers having sex
with Asian women. Supposedly there's a chapter outlining all the things the
Unabomber was right about, but perhaps I'm misinformed.Q: Is there a larger
theme?A: Oh, something about reality. "What is reality," maybe? No, that's
not it. Not exactly. I get the sense that most of the core questions dwell
on the way media perception constructs a fake reality that ends up becoming
more meaningful than whatever actually happened.Q: Should I read this
book?A: Probably. Do you see a clear relationship between the Branch
Davidian disaster and the recording of Nirvana's "In Utero"? Does Barack
Obama make you want to drink Pepsi? Does ABBA remind you of AC/DC? If so,
you probably don't need to read this book. You probably wrote this book. But
I suspect everybody else will totally love it, except for the ones who
absolutely hate it.

The Cambridge Companion to the Beatles
by Kenneth Womack
Published 2010 by Cambridge University Press

Paperback, English. ISBN: 9780521689762
Find this book in our catalog.
Jacket Notes:
From Please Please Me to Abbey Road, this collection of essays tells the
fascinating story of the Beatles - the creation of the band, their musical
influences, and their cultural significance, with emphasis on their genesis
and practices as musicians, songwriters, and recording artists. Through
detailed biographical and album analyses, the book uncovers the background
of each band member and provides expansive readings of the band's music. -
Traces the group's creative output from their earliest recordings through
their career - Pays particular attention to the social and historical
factors which contributed to the creation of the band - Investigates the
Beatles' unique enduring musical legacy and cultural power - Clearly
organized into three sections, covering Background, Works, and History and
Influence, the Companion is ideal for course usage, and is also a must-read
for all Beatles fans

The Cynical Idealist: A Spiritual Biography of John Lennon (Quest)
by Gary Tillery
Published 2009 by Quest Books (IL)

Paperback, English. ISBN: 9780835608756
Find this book in our catalog.
Jacket Notes:
A radio playlist could easily follow John Lennon's "Mind Games" with "Do Ya
Think I'm Sexy." But comparing the two, it becomes obvious that Lennon had
more in common with the great thinkers of any age than with the songwriters
who were his contemporaries. "Cynical Idealist" reveals, for the first time,
the spiritual odyssey of this extraordinary man. Out of a turbulent life,
from his troubled, working-class childhood throughout his many roles --
Beatle, peace advocate, social activist, househusband -- Lennon managed to
fashion a philosophy that elevates the human spirit and encourages people to
work, individually and collectively, toward a better world. Like Socrates,
Lennon wanted to stimulate people to think for themselves. "There ain't no
guru who can see through your eyes," he sings in "I Found Out." "Cynical
Idealist" beautifully articulates this and the other lessons John Lennon
passed along through his songs and through the example of his life.

I Slept with Joey Ramone: A Family Memoir
by Mickey Leigh
Published 2009 by Touchstone Books

Hardcover, English. ISBN: 9780743252164
Find this book in our catalog.
Jacket Notes:
When the Ramones recorded their debut album in 1976, it heralded the true
birth of punk rock. Fast and frenetic in their leather jackets and torn
jeans, the Ramones gave voice to the disaffected youth of the seventies and
eighties, influenced countless bands, and inspired the counterculture for
decades to come.Born Jeffry Hyman of Queens, New York, Joey Ramone was the
quirky, extraordinary lead singer and cofounder of the band. Hiding his face
behind signature sunglasses and a mop of dark hair, he helped define punk's
early image, and his two-decade-plus tenure as the Ramones' front man made
him unforgettable. Told by Joey's brother, Mickey Leigh, "I Slept with Joey
Ramone" provides an intimate look at the turbulent life of one of America's
greatest -- and unlikeliest -- music icons.With honesty, humor, and grace,
Mickey shares the fascinating, sometimes troubling story of growing up with
an emotionally distressed brother who becomes a rock star and the effect it
had on their family. He shows how Joey used music to cope with mental
illness; embraced the glam nightlife of the New York scene; launched CBGB
alongside bands like the Talking Heads and Blondie; and brought punk to
Britain, clashing with the Sex Pistols and changing music
history.Ultimately, betrayal and infighting would end the band. While the
music lives on for new generations to discover, "I Slept with Joey Ramone"
is the enduring portrait of a man who struggled to find his voice and of the
brother who loved him.

--
Jamie in Michigan

Currently Reading: Miss Julia Strikes Back by Ann B. Ross