[bksvol-discuss] Re: need help with image description

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 08:35:34 -0800

Hi Cindy,

I am not sure I am visualizing your problem correctly but maybe the attached
document on placing the image in context is helpful.

Keep in mind that a large number of images in the textbooks for lower grades
have absolutely no educational value and can be skipped. So be certain that you
have set the filter in the yellow box of the upper left corner to "Description
Needed" so you only see images that have been tagged in the first phase review
of the book as needing description.

Once you click on the image in the left column that you are working on its
counterpart will pop up on the right with the book text surrounding it. As long
as the image has an image description box appearing under it you can then
scroll in the right frame to read context.

Just remember to always use the left column to click you to the next image or
you won't get an image description box and may end up describing eye candy.

scott

From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 14:20:46 -0800
To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
<bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] need help with image description

Istarted to do start images descriptions, but I can't quite tell what
>> this particular image is. The print book is unavailable (even from
>> the university at which the author teaches) It is a cut-away of a
>> multi-floored
>> building. There appears to be machinery in it. I',m wondering if it
>> is a textile mill, since the title of the chapter, or the next chapter,  is
>> Experience what life was like in an 1800s mill town, p. 370.
Unknown command.

>> If one of you who can download books from the collection can send me
>> p.  370 or a few paragraphs,  then I can describe this image.

>> Thanks in advance, Grandma Cindy

P.S. I started working on a different book, a biology book, and have the same
problem. How do you describe an image without having the text on the page to
know what it is.
Is there a way to get to the text in the book on the image poet?

Scot--I just saw your note so I'm copying you on this. I didntwant to botheryou
during the holidays