[bksvol-discuss] Re: kurzweil 10.5

  • From: "Jake Brownell" <jabrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 17:56:02 -0500

Hi Robert,
    I actually forwarded the announcement about this release to the group,
which included the new features. I've copied them below. BTW if you forgot to
put OT in the subject line...why didn't you just go back and put it in rather
than tell us you forgot? Seems like that took more effort.

HTH,
Jake

Changes introduced by Patch 10.05 into Kurzweil 1000.

June 12th, 2006

This is the fifth patch for version 10 of the Kurzweil 1000. It should only be
installed on a system that contains version 10, version 10.01, version 10.02,
version 10.03, or version 10.04. Administrative privileges will be required,
and Kurzweil 1000 should not be running when this patch is run.

It includes all of the changes made by patch 10.01, patch 10.02, patch 10.03,
patch 10.04 and the following new changes.

Bug Fixes in Patch 10.05.

(1) Speaking Words that end with an asterisk.

When a word ends with a single asterisk, it often indicates that a footnote is
available for that word. Unfortunately, several text to speech engines spell
the word when they are asked to speak it. Consequently, we now insert a space
between the word and the trailing asterisk as it is spoken.

(2) More Scanners.

The Kurzweil 1000 supports a number of different standards for interfacing to
scanners. Unfortunately, the manufacturers of those scanners often implement
their support in idiosyncratic ways, forcing us to make modifications in order
to support them. We have added such modifications recently for the HP Scanjet
4800, 7800, 8270, and 8300 scanners, and the Visioneer 9420.

(3) BookShare.org and Online Magazines.

Bookshare.org modified the way in which access is provided to magazines and
newspapers. That requires us, in turn, to modify our approach to accessing
their repository.

(4) NLS Web Braille and Online Books and Magazines.

NLS Web Braille modified the way in which access was provided for all of the
materials in their repository. We have adapted our code to support their
changes. Note that we will now require you to accept their agreement each time
you choose to download a book or magazine from their site.

(5) JAWS and Ranked Spelling.

We were able to duplicate a customer's report involving JAWS, Windows ME, and
Ranked Spelling. If JAWS 7 was active but silent, display of the list of
misspellings in the ranked spelling dialog would sometimes cause speech to stop
working in Kurzweil 1000. This problem seems to be related to the speed of the
computer, and possibly only occurs on slower computers. We have worked around
the issue.

(6) Improved Recognition of US Currency.

Recognition of recent versions of US currency has been improved.