[bksvol-discuss] just submitted "Standing Up to the Madness:

  • From: Rik James <rixmix2009@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 15:08:56 -0600

The book listed below has just been submitted and awaits proofreading and
processing for consideration to our Bookshare collection.

thanks.
Rik

Standing up to the madness: ordinary heroes in extraordinary times
2008
by Amy Goodman, David Goodman
pub. Hyperion

From the book's back cover.
The historical election of Barack Obama grew out of a movement led by
courageous people who have defended our democracy in the face of an intense
assault. From global warming, to global warring, to the global economic
meltdown, people are challenging the powers * that be. Standing Up to the
Madness profiles the everyday people who are || standing up for what they
believe in-and changing the world. This book offers hope and inspiration for
anyone trying to make the world a more just and peaceful place, and includes
practical information for how individuals can take action and effect change.

Synopsis:

Standing Up to the Madness not only is a timely, inspiring, and even
revolutionary look at who wields the greatest power in America-everyday
people who take a chance and stand up for what they believe in-but also
offers advice on what you can do to help.

Where are the millions marching in the streets to defend human rights, civil
liberties, and racial justice? Where is the mass revulsion against the
killing and torture being carried out in our name? Where are the
environmentalists? Where is the peace movement?

The answer: They are everywhere.

The award-winning sister-brother team of Amy Goodman, host of Democracy
Now!, and investigative journalist David Goodman traveled the country to
detail the ways in which grassroots activists have taken politics out of the
hands of politicians. Standing Up to the Madness tells the stories of
everyday citizens who have challenged the government and prevailed.

As the Bush administration has waged war abroad and at home, it has
catalyzed a vast groundswell of political action. From African-American
residents of deluged New Orleans who are fighting racism and City Hall to
regain their homes; to four Connecticut librarians who refused to spy on
their patrons, challenged the USA PATRIOT Act, and won; to a group of high
school students who were barred from performing a play they wrote on the
Iraq War based on letters from soldiers; to the first U.S. Army officer to
publicly refuse orders to deploy to Iraq, charging that his duty as an
officer is to refuse to fight in an illegal and immoral war, Standing Up to
the Madness profiles citizens rising to extraordinary challenges. And, in
the process,they are changing the way that politics is done, both now and in
the future.

In communities around the United States, courageous individuals have taken
leaps of faith to stop the madness. They could only hope that if they led,
others would follow. That is how movements are born. What begins as one,
eventually becomes many. In that tradition, the authors have included the
ways in which any individual can take action and effect change.

VOLUNTEER COMMENTS:
This book was scanned using Kurzweil ver 11.02, and converted to rich text
format for submission. I have an image file if questions remain with
questions.  I did read a fair amount of this as I was producing this, and
feel pretty confident it is of excellent quality in having few scanning
errors.  The print quality of the paperback offered some challenges and I
re-scanned some pages until they were excellent.  My ranked spelling was
over 99 percent after making corrections. I believe most problems were
detected and corrected. But I'm available by email should a question remain
when proofed for the Bookshare collection.  I also normalized all headings
and put page number at the top of each page with a blank line directly above
it.  Contact me directly by email at RixMix2009@xxxxxxxxx
The book was scanned using 2-page mode, except for the index was done one
page at a time recognizing the 2-columns.  There are some errors in this
part, but I did re-scan pages wherever the greatest problems arose.