[bksvol-discuss] Re: first scan,

  • From: Cindy Rosenthal <grandcyn77@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 15:55:47 -0800

As a proofreader I say to be sure there are no missing pages or paragraphs;
some of us can't scan or type in large quantities of missing mterials.
Also, check to be sure you have page breaks and the pages numbered
properly; I always do a final pagination check when I've finished proofing
but I've found that sometimes I've become so involved in the story I've
mis-numbered pages. Also, if you can be sure there are no paragraph symbols
at the ends of lines that don't belong there; that is, there is not a new
paragraph that follows but the line or lines continue; we can delete those
ourselves but t does slow up the proofing process; and do a spell check to
catch scanning errors; we correct them as we read and also do a final
spell  spell check ourselves, but we sometmes miss things; sometimes the
eye (I'm sighted) sees what it expects to see and not what is really there
(I don't know if blind people, who proof in Braille or by sound, have the
same problem) so if you've done it first we're a double-check; Also, if you
can, be sure the quotation marks are where they belong I mention this
because the books I've proofed recently don't have them and putting them in
the correct places is very time-consuming. Not a problem for me but it
slows up the process and delays the book's getting into the collection.
That's all I can think of; your scan doesn't have to be too perfect;
speaking for myself, we like to have some tings to correct, or we think
we're not earning our credits. smile