[bksvol-discuss] diacritical marks for foreign words

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 12:50:19 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, Jill.

I always put in diacritical marks, not only in
validations I do but for others who do the basic
validations of their books but need help to know where
the marks go. I don't know about Daisy--I suspect
that, except for pronunciation of Spanish words, where
the accents affect the syllable that is stressed, and
possibly some German words, the words would be
pronounced correctly without the diacritical marks.
However, remember that sighted people with certain
disabilities are also bookshare members, and,
especially for students, I think the books should be
as accurate as possible--and I think that is also
bookshare's policy.

Unfortunately, my Word program only has some marks:
accent, grave (pronounced grahve), tilde, unlaut, and
caret or circumflex, oe connected, ring (a little
round circle) and cedilla. I've just finished
validating, except for the final spell-check and
page-number check, a book that has a lot of arabic
words and unfortunately I don't have any marks for
those, nor did I for some Tolkien words Lissi needed.

HTH

Cindy

-