[bksvol-discuss] cover flaps and back covers

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 14:00:30 -0700 (PDT)

I do the jacket flaps. As a sighted reader I read
them, especially if I'm trying to decide whether I
want to read the book or not. I volunteer at the
library wanding in books, i.e., books that patrons of
our branch have requested from other branches to see
for whom the book should have a hold. When the title
or cover intrigues me I read the flap and/or the back
of the cover. Like my bookshare work, I've discovered
some excellent books that I never would have known
about otherwise. Once or twice I've been misled. smile
They made the book very interesting, but the writing
of the book wasn't such that it held my attention.
MOstly, though, I haven't been disappointed.

So I validate or type in the cover flaps if they
haven't been scanned, so the nonsighted reader  can
have the same opportunity, though I don't suppose he
or she can return the book if he/she doesn't want to
read it.

Sometimes, too, the flaps give a perfect synopsis of
the book and we can use that for the long synoposis.

G.Cindy
--- Cindy Ray <cindyray@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I had never done jacket flaps before, but I will in
> the future. I
> think a few I've tried and they weren't legible, but
> I do work
> everything else I can. I'm still working on one I
> was going to submit
> last fall. It isn't that I really am; I just haven't
> done it for a
> while. I don't think anyone really wants it anyway.
> LOL. But someday I
> will finish it.
>
> Cindy Lou

AVAILABLE AT