[bksvol-discuss] Re: browsing catagories:

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 19:55:57 -0700 (PDT)

And perhaps a defnition of historical fiction. I find it difficult to define a
romance or mystery that is set in a past time but does not involve historical
characters from that time as historical fiction. That is, when only the setting
and perhaps the sociology and politics are mentioned by not primary, as in Anne
Perry's mysteries and Lisa Kleypas" and Mary Balogh's romance novels. To me
historical fiction would involve people from the setting and a great deal of
history, politics, etc. Philippa Gregory's novels, and Margaret George's are
examples. It would be nice if there were a genre to describe the former, i.e.,
novels where the setting is in the past and mores, language, etc., but the
novel or romance is about the characters and the rest is just a setting
framework.

JMO

CIndy

AVAILABLE AT