[bksvol-discuss] Re: [bookshare-discuss] Switching from BrailleNote to Laptop: Book Problem

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kelbycarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 12:41:10 -0500

Hi all,

Kelby, I'm sorry to hear that you are giving up your BrailleNote. A laptop is a good thing, but having the Braille display of the BrailleNote is one of its best features. You can read BRF files with OB or Kurzie on a laptop I'm not sure the Victor Soft player will play them. Remember that if you give up the BN, you will no longer be "reading" at all, you will be listening. You will not see the format of documents. You will not see the spelling of documents. You will not be able to study a foreign language with ease. You will not be able to read math symbology as easily.

Before I'd give up the BN, I'd give this decision some careful thought. If I were you, I'd keep both devices because if you want to transfer files or read files that have been written by your teachers, it will be good to have the laptop. If you want to read your text books in Braille, then keeping the BN would seem to be a good thing. Besides, you can get a laptop for a 20th of the price of the BN and have both items. They both do different things. That's my take on things.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring