[bksvol-discuss] Re: book share:

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 23:45:53 -0500

Hi Valerie. What's cool about Bookshare's funding for students is that it
goes beyond high school and even beyond college. It also covers students who
are in trade school or who are taking specialized training as part of their
career advancement. I know someone who is using it while studying to become
MCSE certified and another who is using Bookshare during her training as a
cosmetologist. One Bookshare member has access because he is training as an
EMT, and another man I know is in training as a 911 dispatcher.

The grant also extends to blind adults and adults with traumatic brain
injuries who are students in training centers where they're taught daily
living skills and mobility skills. It has become an integral part of helping
newly blind veterans who are in training for a new career as well. There are
hundreds of thousands of people who would qualify if they only knew about
Bookshare.

This grant is government spending I can get behind all the way because it
tangibly and directly helps so many people. (smile) I hope it will
eventually help us make a big dent in the unemployment rate among people
with print disabilities.

Monica Willyard, The Eternal Optimist