[bksvol-discuss] a little explaining

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 17:53:58 -0500

Pavi, perhaps what i am now going to write will somewhat explain the uprush of feeling expressed in my messages and those of some of us volunteers.

Bookshare has a great deal of good will and a lot of posible volunteer energy from which to draw.

For a long time, years in fact, we volunteers had no co-ordinator. Some of us hoped our various skills would be better used once we had such a co-ordinator.

We knew we had skills beyond those of scanning and validating.

Some of us are willing to write descriptions of books. Some of us can design web sites and program. Some of us know how to put together various kinds of other support resources for bookshare.

We know how adamant bookshare is that nobody be hired unless he or she is at the site itself. We know telecommuting has not come to bookshare as far as paid jobs.

But we hoped that we might use our skills in other nonpaid ways.

What is all this about setting up procedures? How hard can it be to accept, say, a bibliography listing books bookshare has about service animals?

How hard can it be to locate a group of volunteers who live in or near blindness centers who may have exhibits? We live in an area and will know when there is a trade show. Somebody can volunteer to stand at the bookshare booth and pass out literature. We can share our skills.

Please speak for us rather than becoming entangled in developing procedures for using our talents.

We truly do need a volunteer co-ordinator to help us serve bookshare.

all good things,
Elizabeth