[bksvol-discuss] Writer's Practice Group Writing Topics

  • From: Mayrie ReNae <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 01:17:20 -0800

Hello Everyone,

The next meeting of The Writer's Practice Group will be on Wednesday, November 14 at 6:00 P.M. pacific time, 9:00 P.M. eastern time, in the Friends Of Bookshare classroom. The link to the classroom is:

  Friends of Bookshare Class Room:
http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs0f1c528bd81b

I have a fun writing project planned for us to do during the meeting. And as usual, here are some topics for you to use as possible topics for your daily writing practice.

Writing Topics For The Next Week.
1. Today write a full page of junk. It can be trite, repetitive, vague, clunky, melodramatic,
 gibberish?the worst stuff you can muster. Read it over and notice all
 the elements you understand about writing through the intentional ways you
wrote against them. Now crumple, tear, or delete the page and toss it in the trash along with your belief in failure. I'd rather you didn't bring this as your piece of writing to share with the group during the next group meeting.

2.Memory is a great source for writing topics. Whole poems or essays can spring from memory. In fiction, memory will help you to write believable characters.
Write about the day that you left home to live on your own as an adult.
Ideas to consider to spur you on:
Where were you going?
Why were you leaving?
How did you feel about the move?
Give us as much detail as you can.  Take us there with you. (Required)

3. Personification is giving human characteristics or actions to lifeless objects or animals or ideas. "The wind raged through the trees." "Happiness pulled me up in the morning." Try personification with these: winter, fear, cat, excitement, bear, table and chair, house, restaurant, hope, and mouse. Feel free to elaborate on the ideas with a sentence or two.

4. Write on any topic that has caught your attention recently.

If you would like to have your prepared writing topic posted where the others present at the group meeting can read it, rather than reading it aloud yourself, please send the prepared piece of writing to me at:

mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx

no later than 4:30 P.M. pacific time the day of the meeting.

        Have a great week, and HAPPY WRITING!

Mayrie