[bksvol-discuss] Re: What is this cross and how do I make it?

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 21:34:48 -0400

If it is the kind of book that you would use to look up a specific piece of information rather than read the whole book it is a reference book. In any case, those reference books would also be nonfiction and if the subject is history it would also be history.

On 9/6/2016 11:19 PM, Estelnalissi wrote:

Dear Sandi and Katherine, Judy and Deborah,

Thank you for replying re the cross mark/dagger? and for the footnote information.

Sandi, I believe you're right.

When I came upon the problem it was like Star Trek, Red alert! Red alert! After I sent off my query I continued proofreading and found these footnotes at the bottom of the page:

* See Kenney, op. cit., p. 745 foil.
+ See Orpen, Ireland under the Normans, Vol. 1, 124. On the position of women.

The plus sign is in keeping with your solution. I'll put a plus sign with spaces around it in the text.

This is my night for new characters. Does anyone hear know German. In another book I'm proofreading a
German word has a capital B in the middle of a word with a tail at the bottom of the straight vertical line of the B. I don't know what that is or how to reproduce it, either. it comes right after a u oomlout, and at least I know how to make those.

Katherine, you're so right. Many things I'm coming upon in these special niche books look like they should be scannoes even though they aren't. In the Irish book, several names have the second letter capitalized instead of the first as in the word gCaor. That's what makes these books take forever and it can't be about the numbers with me.

Deborah and Judy, I wasn't putting brackets around the footnotes. I'm glad that in keeping up with the list I read your instructions so will get them right in this book.]

It's so impressive that bookshare has the kinds of books worthy of being resources for college and graduate papers, the shorter and the longer, in depth ones. The scholarly books are labors of love and will be there when just the right person needs high level information.

I'm not sure if my book fits the history and nonfiction categories or if it could be considered a reference book. Are reference books only like dictionaries and thesauruses? Every phrase in my book is packed with information with, it seems, not a spare word. Just wondering.

Always with love,

Lissi

-----Original Message----- From: Sandra Ryan
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2016 9:54 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: What is this cross and how do I make it?

Lissi,
Is it a footnote? It sounds rather more elaborate than what I've seen, but
it appears to me the * is a footnote, and the + may be a second footnote? I
put in a plus for the cross, but perhaps they've used a dagger? Interesting
question.

Sandi