[bksvol-discuss] Re: Volunteer named Frenchie

  • From: Judy <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 00:55:32 -0500

Hi Valerie,

Because I've been running into this with some stuff submitted for me too, I looked at the book history to see if it was similar. aHA! It is!

It's being caused by a programming change in the metadata page that we fill in when we submit a book that we scan or one that we've proofread.

If you check the history, you'll see that Booklady actually did put a hold for you on it. However, she put it in parentheses on the title line before the title name and put the series name and number in the title line as well in parentheses.

I've learned from recent experience myself that Bookshare's site now gets confused if you put anything in parentheses in the title field on the metadata page when you are submitting or checking in a book.

It will also get really confused if you put a colon anywhere in the title field.

When a title is entered with parentheses or with a colon, the site may strip stuff out of the title field that is really in there when it displays it on the volunteer checkout, books in process or approval queue pages. YUCK!

You might want to tell Booklady about this for future submissions.

Here's what I've found works:

Put the title of the book in the title field. Just the title, and nothing else.
If it has a subtitle (including anything that comes after a colon) put that in the subtitle field.
Put the series name in the series title field.
Put the series number in the series number field. Be careful to not put a # sign in there, just the actual number, or you'll get weird stuff showing up in the title.

Also, if you run into this, the "edition" field on the metadata page we fill in is only used in instances like textbooks, where a textbook is an updated second edition, for example. It's not used except for that.

Hope that helps! smile

Judy s.
Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/QuakersNCheese

On 3/19/2020 12:10 AM, Valerie Maples (Redacted sender vlmaples1 for DMARC) wrote:

Thanks, Deborah! I had done that, but not everyone checks email often, so I was “covering my bases.” She did reply and released it, but it is not on checkout; still showing as in process.  Ugh!

Valerie

--------

Please email me again if I don't get back to you. Life gets busy, and sometimes I forget. I don't mind being reminded to keep in touch 😊

On Mar 18, 2020, at 11:43 PM, Deborah Murray (Redacted sender "blinkeeblink" for DMARC) <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Hi Valerie,

You can find Frenchie's email address by going into the book history. Email them and ask if they'll release it.
Otherwise you'll probably have to ask Amanda.

Deborah