[bksvol-discuss] Volunteer meeting highlights

  • From: Alisa Moore <alisam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 23:35:47 +0000

Hi all,

Thanks to those of you who attended the meeting this morning, and the
additional 30+ folks who provided input via email and phone calls this last
week.

Please provide feedback and corrections to Madeleine on this draft of the
highlights from our meeting this morning.  I thought it was a great start and
I, for one, learned a lot!  Thanks for your great ideas and
suggestions....let's keep the dialogue going.  I'll organize a 2nd meeting in
two weeks to follow up and respond to the many suggestions made today.

Aug 1 2012 Bookshare Volunteer and Staff Meeting
8:30 AM-10 AM PST

In Attendance: Judy S., Ann P., Kelly P., Valerie M., Robert T., Evan R., Lissi
D., Sandi R., Laura S., Kelly H., Chanel A., Julia K., Andrea B., Courtney S.,
Marilyn B., Doug M., Reggie A.
Bookshare staff: Alisa Moore, Madeleine Linares, Mayrie Renae, Annie Volanakis.

Volunteer program staff introductions:
Alisa oversees all the programs with a special focus on the image description
program. She does reporting, budgets, 10-year anniversary appreciation, general
volunteer appreciation, and other big picture stuff. She also stressed that we
want to learn and we're all receptive to discussion issues in general.
Mayrie monitors the discussion list, answers questions on and off-list,
proofreads, and is revising the scanning and proofing manual.
Madeleine focuses on the proofing and scanning programs, fields related
questions, approves all books added by volunteers, on-boards volunteers, edits
the newsletter, and handles credit donations and requests.

Input from volunteers re. holds and other issues:
Alisa discussed the various emails that we've been receiving on and off lists
(In a nutshell: about half and half for/against 3-hold limit, concerns that the
holds make the volunteers appear "cliquish", the need for lists of
scanners/proofers, the need for more training and/or a mentoring program, the
need for greeters to welcome and encourage new volunteers, a comprehensive list
of publishers and imprints (Madeleine is working on this!), the need for more
scanners and incentives to make this happen, a more user-friendly manual
(Mayrie is revising), and the general idea that we want to be welcome and
support one another). She stressed Bookshare's interest in supporting a
volunteer mentoring program and that we want to figure out ways to better
train/on-board new volunteers. Bookshare staff will make a conscious effort to
include volunteers in all policy changes prior to implementation.

DISCUSSION COMMENTS:

HOLDS
-Scanners should coordinate with proofers and wait until proofers are ready to
receive their submissions.
-Both long-time and new volunteers have felt that the discussion list and holds
can make the group appear cliquish.
-Proofers or members who want certain books in the collection can mail them to
scanners (this is frequently done).
-Anyone who purchases a book should have the chance to proof or scan it
themselves.
-A general desire for a list of who scans/who proofs + a short bio about what
that person is interested in working on so as to better match scanners with
proofers.
-New volunteers can filter the check-out queue to sort for books without HOLDS.
Contact Mayrie with questions about how to do this.
-The idea of a formal "welcome committee" where existing volunteers could
connect with new ones.
-Many places to find books to scan-ask the list, the wishlist, etc.   Judy will
share a list of 1,000+ books that volunteers could contribute.
-Staff will look into reimbursing shipping costs and/or finding ways to provide
scanners with books.
-To expand the variety and number of books available to scan, it was suggested
that we add Bookshare books marked "good" back into check out queue, rather
than having them go through outsources for book quality repairs. This could
also apply to any "excellent" books with a few errors and potentially be a good
start for new volunteers (*overlaps into "training" topic)

TRAINING
-Google books is a great and accessible resource for help with proofing.
-Ask for help
-The idea of a mentoring program, which could stem from the list of proofers
and scanners mentioned above.
-Need a better/updated manual, which Mayrie is working on
-Possible to hold a weekly conference call to answer questions and
trouble-shoot challenges.
-A way to give feedback to new scanners or proofers by the corresponding
scanner or proofer.
-Make new volunteers aware of the "book history" page.
-Educate new volunteers about the HOLDS policy.

TEXTBOOKS
-Bookshare will look into incentives such as gift cards for proofing textbooks

A PLACE TO POST ANNOUNCEMENTS, UPDATES, AND GENERAL INFORMATION
-Another webpage in the volunteer section of the website?
-Include more updates in the newsletter.
-Set up a volunteer blog like the current Bookshare blog.
-Add info to the wiki-people tend to dislike the wiki and find it difficult to
navigate.
Follow up questions/comments:

  1.  Did we miss anyone's crucial comments?
  2.  Does anyone have thoughts on the points mentioned above?
  3.  Does anyone actually read the Bookshare blog? Is it accessible enough?
  4.  Please email Madeleine
(madeleinel@xxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:madeleinel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>) with BRIEF bios for a
list of proofers/scanners, including: what you do (proof or scan), area of
interest, Optional: specialty (new volunteer-want something easy vs longtime
volunteer-can do cookbooks! Or whatever), whether you're blind or sighted? (or
can/can't do image descriptions?)
As suggested, we'll hold another meeting in two weeks in order to follow up on
assignments and outstanding questions/concerns from today's meeting.  Alisa
will send a notice with time/call in information.

Alisa K. Moore
Volunteer Program Manager
Benetech
www.bookshare.org