[bksvol-discuss] Torey Hayden FYI

  • From: socly@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 19:35:29 -0500

-I've read all the books by Torey Hayden. They are, as you say, Natash,
wonderful -- very readable and very
inspiring. For those of you who don't know, she was a Special Ed teacher with
really difficult kids.  I can't
remember the title of the first one I read, which was, I think, the first one
she wrote.

An interesting thing about the books is that she's very personal, and included
details about her personal life
as well as her interactions with the students in class and out, with their
families, other teachers and
adminsitrators. etc. After reading four of her books, I think, maybe fiveif
there were 5, I wasvery curious about
if she married the last of her boyfriends, if she was still teaching, etc. I
checked online and she had an
e-mail address, so I wrote to her and got a very nice, newsy reply. It was
quite a few years ago, so I don't
remember exactly what she said, but I think she said she was married but not to
the boyfriend mentioned
and that she had her own children, I forget how many, and wasn't teaching. As I
said, that was several years
ago; she may have gone back to teaching if her children are now older. Is The
Beautiful Child a new book or
one of the old ones?