[bksvol-discuss] Re: To School Through the Feilds

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 22:53:18 -0400

Thank you for taking time to share the wonderful news, Anastasia! I did
validate that lovely book! It's a memoir of a happy childhood on an Irish
country farm. It's lovely, safe reading. Alice Taylor's recollections are
delightful and detailed. They allow us to experience life on an Irish farm as
it was lived 70 years ago.

Here is my long synopsis.

Through the fields and in the cottages round about is where we view Alice
Taylor's childhood in County Cork, Ireland. This gentle, witty memoir is told
to the rhythms of nature and farm life as it cycles through the years. Reading
it is like taking a vacation and better than any field trip you took to a farm.
When the family slaughters a couple of hogs, all of the neighbours help and
they all share in the meat. You'll see how it is processed from carcass to
plate. You'll discover why Alice loves her quirky neighbours but isn't as fond
of nuns. Sweating and happy, farmhands and children alike harvest the hay with
the aid of a tumbling paddy, a huge comb like contraption made of wood. They
wash off the sweat, hayseeds and insects in an icy refreshing stream. Then
there's cold tea and apple cake to fortify them for another round of work.
Alice's mother notices the best in everyone and oversees the daily recitation
of the rosary. Her father is comforted more by the richness of life in his
crops and farm animals. The children play freely outside not missing or needing
toys. There are tragedies like the death of Alice's little brother, but most of
Alice's memories of a time that is now lost to us, brim with joy humor and
love.

Always with love,

Lissi

"My story is finally out there in the ether, a self-sufficient organism beyond
my control, changing shape in every new mind that absorbs it."
From The Night Listener, a novel by
Armistead Maupin