[bksvol-discuss] To Lissi, Re: Clarification: Wish List Procedure

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 00:39:24 -0400

Hi, Lissi. Both of your questions are good ones and are far more logical than you've given yourself credit for. (smile) The answer to your first question is that using the Bookshare Discuss list to post wish requests does require that you either join the list or use the rss feed of it from a site like Google. It's a bit of a hassle for those who don't want to use a list, but the staff is trying to give the community more control over what happens in regard to requesting and scanning books. It's not a perfect solution, and I'm not sure there is one that would work for everyone. The way we're doing it now does seem to be more responsive.

As for your second question, it would be neat to have a form that people fill out that is then automatically emailed to the volunteers list so people wouldn't have to join a list. That much could work out well. Making a list like step 1 sounds like it could end up with some of the same problems as the old wish list that couldn't be updated or maintained often. It's always possible that one of the developers will come up with a compromise that would make it more workable in the future.

Lissi, keep asking questions. I know you're a teacher and that you know it's how people learn. You've made so much progress in using your computer and using the internet. We need your questions to help us meet the needs of all Bookshare members. If you're wondering about something, the chances are good that someone else is wondering about it too. (smile) You're a smart woman, and your ideas matter very much to me and to others here.

Monica Willyard

At 05:50 PM 7/12/2007, you wrote:
Dear Jake,

This post has two parts, and the second part isn't important and doesn't need an answer. The second part is a kind of speculating out loud about things I shouldn't write about because my grasp of computers is too foggy.