[bksvol-discuss] Re: Thanks To Lissi and Evan

  • From: "EVAN REESE" <mentat3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 21:49:36 -0500

Thanks very much, Monica. It is wonderful to get messages of appreciation like
this.

I will admit that I was not really all that interested in doing books for
children before I met Lissi, except for some children's books that I myself had
liked as a child. But I started doing  them partly to help her, but mainly to
get some extra credits when I was living in circumstances where the finances
were very tight. But now I like doing them and look forward to hearing about
new ones that we can work on.  I've found some very funny, silly (in a good
way), clever and very moving books by doing read aloud and other books for
children. And Lissi, being a retired school teacher, has always had a strong
desire to get kids involved in reading, both by being read to and by reading on
their own. So we're both glad to keep putting these kinds of books up on
Bookshare. And there are plenty more to scan.

Keep a lookout for some Christmas read aloud books for children over the next
couple weeks in amongst the books for older children and adults that I have
scanned and Lissi is validating. I have already scanned a couple read alouds,
which will be validated over the next few days; and if time permits, I have a
few more  that I will scan if Lissi has time to validate them. She reads
through everything before sending it up to the Admin Queue, as you know, and I
sometimes read through them myself. So every book gets at least one read
through, and often two, as well as a spell check before it gets into the
collection. This does take extra time, but we are both committed to the highest
quality we can produce. This is important for all books, but, we agree with E
that this is especially important for the children's books. If they're not
being read to them, the kids are reading the books themselves, and it does not
encourage them to read if the books are riddled with mistakes. Actually, I
would think that that would be quite a discouragement, which is definitely the
last thing we want.

It's inspiring and motivating to have our work appreciated.

Evan