[bksvol-discuss] Re: Strange font styles in MS Word

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 13:15:42 -0600

Thanks, Judy,
I've just started on this book, so won't have much to redo. I'll do this.
Thanks,

Melissa

Judy s. wrote:
Hi Melissa,

You're encountering what I call "the evil styles attribute" of Word.

Your book has had a specific base "style" attributed to it by Word. Then, different "styles" have been applied to paragraphs or even sentences and headers throughout the book. So it's constantly changing the document style, even though the font size and paragraph formatting remain the same.

I'm not sure what bookshare's tools do when they convert a document with these kinds of style changes throughout.

If you want to get rid of all the styles stuff at once, you can, but you may lose other formatting (font size increases you've put in for titles and chapter headings, for example) that you've already done, and have to put it back in.

If anyone else has a solution, please chime in! Mine is pretty much done with brute force. But the following is the way I've used to get rid of weird style stuff and revert the text back to what Word calls it's "normal" style, which should delete all those extraneous style commands. When it shows up, I usually have to do this as the very first step I take in working on a book.

1. Open the book
2. Select all the contents in the book with a control a
3. Click on the "format" drop-down menu in the tool bar and then select "style" 4. In the dialog box, the first box is a list of styles. Select "normal".
5. Click the button for "apply"
6. Press the "up arrow" key to now put yourself at the top of the document, and to deselect the text of the document.

This should have then stripped out all those style commands.

If doing this has reset the font and paragraphing to something other than what you want it standardized to, at this point you can then redo those standardizations and they will stick, without adding any weird style codes.

Good luck! And if you want to know more about what styles are and do in Word, here's some links:

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/stylesms/index.html
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm

Judy s.

Melissa Smith wrote:
I'm using MS Word 2002 and Window-Eyes 7.11, and have encountered something strange in the document I'm currently proofing. Window-Eyes is constantly saying "style font style" followed by a number. From what I've read so far, the numbers range anywhere from 23 to 46. I standardized fonts and paragraphs, hoping that that would get rid of all this, but Window-Eyes is still saying this. I turned attribute changes on, and it reports that the font is Times New Roman, 12 point as I standardized it. Any ideas why I'm still hearing this and how I can get rid of it? Also, will this have any effect on the final document that is uploaded to Bookshare? I have a basic idea what styles are in Word, but don't fully understand them.
Thanks,

Melissa