[bksvol-discuss] Re: Stephen King, Cell

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 19:17:06 -0800 (PST)

I recommended to Janice and Gustavo that we buy the book and scan it in-house,
but haven't heard from either of them if they want to or not.  I'll ask them
when I go into the office next week.

  Carrie

Gerald Hovas <geraldhovas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
      @page Section1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; }
P.MsoNormal {   FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New
Roman"  }  LI.MsoNormal {   FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY:
"Times New Roman"  }  DIV.MsoNormal {   FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt;
FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"  }  A:link {   COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION:
underline  }  SPAN.MsoHyperlink {   COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline  }
A:visited {   COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline  }
SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {   COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline  }  P {
  FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 0in; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0in; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New
Roman"  }  SPAN.EmailStyle17 {   COLOR: windowtext; FONT-FAMILY: Arial  }
DIV.Section1 {   page: Section1  }      Liz,

  I  read it earlier this week because I noticed it before it hit the New Books
list using Jake's querry for most recent publications, and, judging by the
context, it's all there.  There was probably just some page breaks missing.
Since the number of pages is about twice what you mentioned, I'd guess that
someone scanned the book two pages at a time without turning on two page
scanning and the OCR software treated the two pages as if they were two
collumns on the same page.  Just a guess since I seem to remember that there
were around 350 pages according to the page numbers.

  The book could have used a bit more cleanup during validation or before it
was submitted, but it's still probably good enough that it would get an
Excellent rating if it weren't for the page break problem.  Since I read it
using Internet Explorer, though, I didn't notice the missing page breaks.

  As for rescanning it, I still expect it to show up at the top of the New York
Times Bestseller Hardcover Fiction list tomorrow, which would have caused
Bookshare to scan it in-house.  If you think there's a problem, then I'd get
Carrie to ask whether or not they want to rescan it in-house or not before
going to the trouble of rescanning it yourself.

  Gerald