[bksvol-discuss] Re: So far no dual language books I've checked on bookshare are available in any format but DAISY text

  • From: Ali Al-hajamy <aalhajamy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 02:37:07 -0400

that's exactly correct. The audio situation is somewhat better because it is within the realm of possibility for Bookshare to buy non-English voices so as to more accurately render the text, but since there is no universal Braille standard, attempting to download a Hindi or Arabic book in English BRF will give you incomprehensible results, assuming you get anything at all. That said, I believe there are several languages that utilize the Roman alphabet, German for example because I have personal experience with reading it, whose Braille codes are so similar to those in English, save for a few accent marks, that they should be offered in BRF format.

On 23-Oct-13 02:25, Valerie Maples wrote:
Misha is correct, I was told only to use a bilingual tagging on books that are truly two languages comprehensively throughout because the braille tool is unable to render it correctly since braille standards are different in different countries. I don't believe anything can come of it until A universal standard is achieved. Then again, you're talking about a sighted person speaking out of subject she knows nothing about. Smiles.
Valerie