[bksvol-discuss] Science Fiction Submission by Vernor Vinge

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 13:38:06 -0500

Hey Folks, I just submitted The Children of the Sky by Vernor Vinge. It has
been completely read through, and completely spellchecked. all page numbers and
page breaks are present, all headers removed, and all font adjustments have
been made.

Here's the info from inside flaps:

In a lab at the edge of the galaxy, in search of an ancient archive, scientists
unwittingly unleash the Blight: this vast, destructive entity rampages through
the Zones of Thought, subverting digital intelligence and devastating countless
worlds and races throughout the Beyond. One ship, carrying the children of the
scientists, seeks haven on an obscure world in the Slow Zone, only to find
medieval kingdoms of group-animals--the Tines--at war with one another. Another
ship, itself fleeing the Blight, follows their ship's distress signal to Tines
World and helps end the war, saving most of the Children.

Ten years later, Ravna Bergsndot, the lone surviving human adult living among
the Tines, has revived most of the hundred and fifty Children who remain in
coldsleep. Under her protection, the Children have grown to adulthood and
established a society with the Tines. Now, Tinish packs and human beings live
together in peace in the Domain, one of the few remaining outposts of humans in
the galaxy, while Ravna keeps watch against the approach of the Blight.

Other than Ravna, only Johanna and Jefri Olsndot, whose parents piloted the
desperate flight to Tines World, have direct knowledge of the events that
brought them there, and Jefri was too young to truly understand. The other
Children have memories only of life before the Blight. Now, old enough to shape
their own future, they question Ravna's guidance, and seek to chart a new
course ... heedless of the potential for disaster amid the Machiavellian
politics of Tines World.

As some in the Domain plot and scheme, far beyond their society's borders the
legendary pack Tycoon is shaping the world's first industrial civilization.
With dark alliances swirling in both human and Tinish circles, the survival of
Tines World depends on Ravna. And Ravna has enemies, unseen ... awaiting their
moment.

I enjoyed this book, but it is not the book I, and many others judging by the
reviews, was hoping for. It is not the story of the confrontation between Tines
world and the Blighter fleet. We'll have to wait for another book for that. And
at the rate he puts out books, well, it's likely to be quite a while. Still,
this is a good tale. Happy reading.

Evan