[bksvol-discuss] Responses to "Write Your Bookshare Memoir..."

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 15:05:46 -0700

OK folks, two list members have responded to the invitation to write up a
biography on being a Bookshare Volunteer. We are circulating them among
in-house volunteers but I wanted you to be able to read them two. Here's the
first from Chela below.

Keep them coming!

Scott Rains
Benetech Fellow, Bookshare Volunteer Department

Hello there, my name is Chela Robles from Concord California. I’m a blind jazz
trumpeter and love to read books.

I became interested in Bookshare when I was told I could access books for
pleasure and education from a friend of mine and signed up in August 2006 and
began reading to my heart’s content! I then realized I could also join the
volunteer list too and wanted to share some of my books I’ve scanned and
prepared for my own enjoyment so that way others can enjoy them as well. I then
filled the necessary form out to be a volunteer and thus became a volunteer in
2007 to pay for my own membership at Bookshare.

I’m at Bookshare because I want to increase my knowledge of learning how to
prepare books by scanning using Kurzweil 1000, an Optical Character Recognition
solution software for the blind, and proofreading books as well using JAWS for
Windows, a screen reader from Freedom Scientific based in Florida and Microsoft
Word 2003 on an XP Home edition machine. I proofread mostly when working with
Bookshare and will begin to scan again once I get a new scanner then I’d do
both.

Whenever someone asks for help on the list for volunteers, I try to find the
solution on Google if it has to do with formatting and such, but I also love to
learn about what other people do to make Bookshare quality books excellent and
very legible. I also like hearing more about how Bookshare staff does their
part in helping us volunteers do our part as well. I’m currently editing the
Bookshare volunteer glossary which is going to be in English and in Spanish
since I speak both and am learning Portuguese. Together the blind and sighted
can make a huge difference and it starts by spreading the word for making
printed material accessible to all with disabilities! Who is with me?

For more information about me and my music or other hobbies, feel free to write
me on the list or at cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx

I’ll always and have always enjoyed working alongside Bookshare you guys rock
so keep it going and many kudos to ya!