[bksvol-discuss] Re: Renewing a book

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 20:56:55 -0500

Actually I thought the new page layout was written with sighted or low vision folks in mind, rather than totally blind speech users. For me, as a speech user, the arrangement seems difficult or at least somewhat arbitrary. I use the links list option and search option in my speech package to find things more easily. Still,there is all that new verbiage to get through. To actually get to what I want takes more time now than with the former site. Again, for me at least, the new site takes more time to use and you need to go through more steps to do things than was necessary in the old site. For me that means more keystrokes. I am sorry about the more keystrokes part as some of us have physical difficulties such as carpal tunnel syndrome and such.

E.

At 07:08 PM 2/8/2009, you wrote:

Some of these things, I think, are somewhat hard to find, especially, perhaps, if one is sighted or partially sighted. For example, I tend to look at the big page and am not really aware of the different-colored task bar above the main page, where the print is on a white background and fills the screen. Thus I didn't notice the Browse button under Search on the task bar to which Ann referred, nor did I noticed "checked-out books," either, until someone pointed it out to me.

Susan, I can't tell from your sentence if you mean you've found it now or still haven't, whch s why 'm writing. If you can get to Volunteer Home (and I don't remember how; I have it bookmarked), underneath on the left-hand side, at least on my screen, s a box with a list, one item of which is My Checked Out Books. Click on that and you'll see your books with choices: Check In, Reject, Release, Renew (not necessarily in that order.) This is one place where the new site is better than the old; one you're renewed a book you don't have to back space to renew another one. The screen stays and the date of the next renewal is shown and you can immediately renew another book if necessary. smile

HTH

Cindy

http://www.eset.com