[bksvol-discuss] Re: Ready

  • From: <ohio1803@xxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 18:22:26 -0600

Howdy Kim & everyone on the Proofreaders Crew!

2 books of mine are Ready for Checkout.
Got my choo choo on the track this month as far as scanning and submitting goes.
Heading toward my April 6 renewal date.
Thanks!
Richard (Rik) James

Here are the details:

BOOK 1:

ISBN #:   978-0-8061-4185-5
TITLE:   The Irish general : Thomas Francis Meagher
AUTHOR:  Paul R. Wylie
YEAR OF COPYRIGHT: Copyright © 2007 by the University of Oklahoma Press
PUBLISHER:  University of Oklahoma Press
GENRE: nonfiction, Biography, History,
Irish patriot, Civil War general, frontier governor--Thomas Francis Meagher
played key roles in three major historical arenas.  Today he is hailed as a
hero by some, condemned as a drunkard by others.  Paul R.  Wylie now offers a
definitive biography of this nineteenth-century figure who has long remained an
enigma.  The Irish General first recalls Meagher's life from his boyhood and
leadership of Young Ireland in the revolution of 1848, to his exile in Tasmania
and escape to New York, where he found fame as an orator and as editor of the
Irish News.  He served in the Civil War--viewing the Union Army as training for
a future Irish revolutionary force--and rose to the rank of brigadier general
leading the famous Irish Brigade.  Wylie traces Meagher's military career in
detail through the Seven Days battles, Antietam, Fredericksburg, and
Chancellorsville.  Wylie then recounts Meagher's final years as acting governor
of Montana Territory, sorting historical truth from false claims made against
him regarding the militia he formed to combat attacking American Indians, and
plumbing the mystery surrounding his death.  Even as Meagher is lauded in most
Irish histories, his statue in front of Montana's capitol is viewed by some
with contempt.  The Irish General brings this multi-talented but seriously
flawed individual to life, offering a balanced picture of the man and a
captivating reading experience.

note: I think it is confusing. When I look at this in My Scans in Process, it
has someone's name but it is also "Ready for Checkout" to be proofread.
I think it is a worthwhile book. I sure worked hard to get it in good shape.

BOOK 2:    JUST SUBMITTED!

ISBN #:   978-0-615-80661-7
TITLE:   John Hartford: Pilot of a Steam Powered Aereo-Plain
AUTHOR:  Andrew Vaughan
YEAR OF COPYRIGHT:   © 2013 Stuffworks
PUBLISHER:  StuffWorks Press, Inc.
GENRE:    nonficiton, Entertainment,
short description:
John Hartford brought a '70s songwriter sensibility to a traditional music
format, and brought a new generation to the bluegrass world of Bill Monroe,
Earl Scruggs and company... this book tells the story of John's journey from
St. Louis to Nashville with a few crazy Hollywood TV star years in between.
Author Andrew Vaughan poured through the files and memorabilia of John
Hartford's archive and talked to key players in Hartford's life to tell the
story of John Hartford's journey to Aereo-Plain.

     inside the book jacket:
In 1971, John Hartford turned his back on a thriving Hollywood career and
returned to his bluegrass roots to make one the finest albums of the decade.
Circumstance and fate brought him a set of wonderfully skilled musicians that
played with fire and passion and in such harmony that the sum of the musical
parts was always going to be beyond anything Hartford could have imagined. Not
only was Aereo-Plain a remarkable record in its own right, filled with great
songs and astounding musicianship, but it stretched the boundaries of bluegrass
and opened the doors to a new genre of country and folk music, newgrass. Of
course, as with most pioneering albums, Aereo- Plain was a commercial disaster,
but now more than forty years later it remains one of the most influential
records in acoustic music history. The long hair and beard John Hartford
revealed on the album's cover signaled his rejection of the clean cut TV
performer who had become internationally known both for his classic song
"Gentle on My Mind," and regular TV appearances alongside the Smothers Brothers
and Glen Campbell.
     About the Author
Andrew Vaughan is respected Nashville-based writer and an authority on country
music. As a music critic, his work has appeared in Billboard, Music Week, Mojo,
Q, the London Times, the Guardian, Folk Roots, and many other magazines. He was
founding editor of Country Music International magazine and a regular guest on
BBC Radio, BBC TV and VH1 as an expert on country music and country rock. In
1999, Andrew moved from London to Nashville, where he quickly became one of the
best-connected writers on the music scene. He is the author of several books
including Shania: Feel Like a Woman (Andre Deutsch) and The Eagles: An American
Band (Sterling Books). He has been a record industry consultant and editorial
director for the American Music Channel since 2002.
volunteer comments:
This book was scanned using Kurzweil k-1000 version 14. It is a full size
hardcover book, with many pages of images. But also a very informative
narrative. The scanning process had many challenges with pages using text that
was super-imposed over background images or artsy speckly stuff. But with
sighted help and hours of work, we have here a copy that I feel strongly is
without scanning errors. Image captions are frequent of course. And sometimes I
was able to offer image descriptions with my sighted counterpart. Ranked
Spelling was employed to find and correct errors. There are many portions of
the narrative using the speaker's own voice which can be a bit confusing, and
as stated before we poured over the text to a line by line degree, so where
questions exist for you, feel free to contact me for any questions about that
or anything else at this email address:  d28rik at msn dot com. I hope the
Bookshare community will find the book as enjoyable as I do. I think it was
worth the work!
NOTE: The fonts were all set to Times New Roman at 12 point size. There is a
Table of Contents, Introduction, and ten chapters, followed by a Discography.
Each of these headings were set to 16 point Bold Times New Roman.  The captions
and descriptions are placed in [] brackets. And finally page numbers are at the
top of each page with a blank line above and below it.