[bksvol-discuss] Questions about scanning a knitting pattern book, Folk Vests

  • From: Karen Harshfield <karenh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 12:33:56 -0800

Questions on scanning the book Folk Vest: 25 knitting patterns & tales from around the world.

I am done with the actual physical scanning and OCr of this book, i.e. the text part is done. Now I would like opinions from any of you who might have a comment about any of the following:

1. Each vest is displayed in a full page photographic picture. Should I provide a description for each of these pages? I think it would be helpful.

2. A sketch of each of the vests is provided.  Should I describe these?

3. Charts (picture charts, not text charts) are provided to describe how to knit certain sweater vests. There are two kinds of charts -- color charts for vests containing two or more colors, and cable charts for cabled sweaters. I could transcribe these into text. I think this would be helpful and necessary, but am I violating any copyrights or anything else by changing the book this much?

4. There is a small techniques appendix containing sketches of hand position, knitting needles and yarn. Should I describe these illustrations when necessary?

That's about it I guess. I was just wondering what might have been done in the past for books of this type, not necessarily knitting. Or what anyone would suggest.

Thanks!
- Karen