[bksvol-discuss] Re: Problem with brf of Cattus Petatassus

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:49:23 -0600

I suspect nothing is wrong, with the file in the way you would usually use the
word, but the difference might not be appreciated.  BookShare said they would
change how braille files are processed and this file might be formatted in the
new way.  I would personally really hate the line breaks every 40 characters
because they would be incorrect for my braille display.  I understand that some
people have 40 character displays and like the line breaks.  I've heard the
explanation before, but would you mind explaining why exactly the lack of line
breaks causes a problem with your display?  Do you have a braille light 40?  I
have seen them, but I only had a braile 'n speak, so I don't quite know how the
scrolling works.
The new format should be more generic, so that it doesn't cause problems for
anyone's method of reading in braille, but that doesn't mean it actually works
for everyone in reality.  I'm afraid nothing will work perfectly for everyone.
I want page breaks to be noted in the BRF files, but I probably won't like the
line of dashes when using my display either.  I don't have a better idea,
though, because if you were to require hard copy braille the line of dashes
should work well, and a genuine page break would cause a big mess.  For a
braille  display a real page break would be far better of course.  The same
kinds of problems exist for the line breaks.
Evidently there are no geniuses out there with the perfect solution yet.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
Assistive Technology Trainer
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity