[bksvol-discuss] Plays and Royalities

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:29:56 -0500

Actually you pay the royalties when you produce the play.  Every production
you do you have to pay money to the playwright.  Musicals can be extremely
expensive.  I know for Annie" it is $300 or at least it was two years ago
for the cost to perform one night's performance of that play.  My high
school put it on for the community theater, and it costs us dear, with three
performances.  One play I did in High School called "Eighteen Nervous
Gumshoes" cost us #$100 to perform in front of an Audience.  And it is still
"hush hush" if you attempt to record the performance even if it is for
evaluation purposes as was ours.  It was for a class called Theater and
expression Three.  I was a Rich young newly wed, who looses her husband in
the first act, because of "bug juice" and gets him back in the fourth.  And
I had a hard time learning how to cry, I did finally do it.  smile.  it was
a lot of fun though.

Which is why theater tickets are so expensive even in community theaters.

And the Chafee Amendment I believe actually says "not dramatic works"

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council
www.guidedogs.com