[bksvol-discuss] Re: Pagination, Book share files, Braille, and k1k (Chapter headings too)

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 09:28:24 -0600

Thank you Pratik for the clarification.  For page numbers your
understanding coincides with my own.  That is why it is important for us
to facilitate the work of the header/footer processor by isolating page
numbers on their own lines preceeded and followed by blank lines, and
remove any surrounding junk, rather than burying them in a line containing
other bodytext.

I still need more info about what's happening to chapter headings right
now, and how we should normalize them in view of any future upgrade to the
processor.

G.

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Research,
Human Ability & Accessibility Center,   (HA&AC)
Austin Tx.
Phone:  512. 838. 9735.
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

". . . Maybe it was only those who were most certain they were right who
were guaranteed to be wrong. And that maybe, just maybe, those who
questioned the most were in the end those who came closest to being wise."
[David Poyer, The Command]

"Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
01/21/2008 08:59 AM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Pagination, Book share files, Braille, and k1k (Chapter
headings too)

Hi All,

A lot of questions have been raised in the last few days regarding how
Bookshare handles pagination and how programs such as Kurzweil 1000 handle
pagination that come through Bookshare files.  Here are a few things you
should know.

Bookshare DAISY and Pagination

While processing the RTF files that are validated by volunteers, the
Bookshare tools take page number from either the top or bottoms of pages,
remove them, and place them in the DAISY navigation structure.  This
enables
users to use the navigation features of the DAISY reader to move to them.
This is done so that navigation features can be separated form the actual
book content.  According to the DAISY specification, this is how it should
be done.  The idea is that navigation features should be supported by the
"user agent."  Here the term user agent is used to designate any software
or
device that provides the user the ability to view the DAISY document. This
user agent should decide how to process various navigation features that
are
supported by the file.

In Bookshare's case, this is how it is handled. And programs such as
Kurzweil 1000 must decide how to determine how to navigate between pages
or
to pages.  As many of you have learned, this navigation does not happen as
consistently as it should.  Technically, the bookmark feature (ctrl+r)
does
provide a way to go from page to page.  However, in many books, this does
not work as well.  This is not a concern that bookshare can address.  It
is
more a Kurzweil 1000 issue and Kesy must address this on their end.
Looking
at many DAISY book structures, Bookshare does, at least, seem to handle
page
numbering well.  (Rise and Fall might be a different case.  I have yet to
do
some checks on this book.)

Bookshare and Braille

About a year and a half ago, bookshare engineers made some significant
changes to the Braille translation codes that allow print page numbering
be included in the BRF file.  This functionality was tested and should be
included in every book that had page numbers in the source RTF validated
by
the volunteer.  If you are finding that page numbers are not a part of the
BRF when you use Kurzweil 1000, again, this is more a Kurzweil 1000 issue
than Bookshare.  In doing the original testing, I do seem to recall some
troubles with Kurzweil 1000 not hsowing page numbers.  However Braille
note
or Pacmate should behave consistently.  My recent tests on both of those
platforms does bear out this conclusion.  I also notice that Evan also
confirmed this with a PacMate.

Bookshare, Chapter headings, and DAISY.

Unless bookshare has been conducting some experiments that I am not aware
of, bookshare does not remove chapter numbers for navigation purposes. The
stripper does, unfortunately, have a bad habit of removing chapter
headings
from the source.  This is not intentional and needs to be corrected.  That
is why many people have come up with special techniques to deal with the
recalcitrant stripper.

I hope this has been somewhat useful after the many questions and
Questions are welcome.

Regards,

Pratik