[bksvol-discuss] Re: Page Break memorandum

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <kellhart@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:57:45 -0600

Hi Marissa,
It's good that all of this is being done to make the Daisy files more
readable, but there's an issue with .brf files that I'd like to bring to
your attention. Currently the brf files do not retain the print page numbers
at all, and only include the virtually useless braille page numbers. There
are many Bookshare members who use note-takers which allow them to read brf
files but not Daisy. So the brf files need to be usable for classes etc too.
Jesse told me that the reason the brf files don't have the print page
numbers is that there's a bug. I think that, since you're working so hard to
improve the quality of the files in the collection, fixing this brf bug
should also be a priority. One of Bookshare's best aspects is that you can
get brf files on demand, and for many members they are as important, or even
more important, than Daisy files. I would hate to see them relegated to a
position of lesser importance and value.
Thanks,
Kellie