[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: grammaical changes

  • From: Soronel Haetir <soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 06:23:58 -0800

I don't buy plural they being a mistake to begin with.  Like so many
other grammatical 'rules' the stricture sprang out of a prescriptivist
world view rather than describing how people actually use language.

A reasonable starter link on the topic, with links to lots of other
matter on the subject:
http://158.130.17.5/~myl/languagelog/archives/001863.html

For the most part I also don't buy prescriptivism, especially when
talking about English, it simply isn't a fixed language.  So you
aren't contributing to any sort of decline by such usage.

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx