[bksvol-discuss] OT: For Bertrice Small fans, & fantasy fans

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 12:26:04 -0800 (PST)

I was checking my library catalog to order what I
thought was the penultimate book of hers that I hadn't
read, and discovered that in addition to The Last
Heiress, which someone (Amber? Allison?) mentioned
here, there is a book entitled Lara. My catalog had
some excerpts that didn't seem that well-written, but
then I checked on Amazon and the readers' reviews were
all highly favorable. It's the first of the Hetar
series, it says. Lara is half-faerie, and Hetar seems
to be a different world, so those fantast lovers among
you might enjoy it.

I also found a relatively new book entitled The Dragon
Lord's Daughters, but three our of four readers'
reviews of that were unfavorable. It's apparently
three novellas, and the third one in particular
distressed the readers. One thing about Small's books
is that no matter what happens in the middle, we know
that  all will end happily. With her books I don't
even have to read the end first. smile. But in the
third story of this book I gather the ending is not
happy.

I'm about to order the last one that was on my list to
read, The Innocent, but now I also have The Last
Heiress and Lara to look forward to--as well as
Philippa Gregory's books and some other authors of
historical novels you all have recommended.