[bksvol-discuss] Re: O_T Dragon and jaws

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 21:09:38 -0500

Hi Shelley,

I'm not using that configuration, but there is a program available that allow blind users to integrate Dragon and Jaws, J-Say Pro. It looks pretty pricey, at around $900 - here's a link to the software manufacturer

http://www.ngtvoice.com/products/software/tandt/jsay/

Dragon preferred does have an interface that reads out what is on the screen to you, and you can use that with your headset to listen what it is saying while you are speaking. I don't use it, and I doubt from what I've seen of it that it would work for a blind user. However, I do know that there are blind individuals out there who do use J-Say Pro along with dragon and jaws.

If you purchase Dragon, get the preferred edition, not the standard. It's around $189. The standard edition is a gutted version of the preferred, and it's missing functions that I use all the time.

Also, I've found that using a USB microphone gives much better results than a microphone that uses the microphone jack.

Judy s.

Shelley L. Rhodes wrote:
Sounds like a weird Sci Fi novel doesn't it. Is anyone currently using both Dragon and jaws? And if so what do I need to consider if I purchase Dragon?