[bksvol-discuss] Next Meeting of the Science Fiction Club, Thursday, December 9, 2010

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sci-fi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 16:09:32 -0500

Hi Folks,

We had a good meeting, with another new person joining us for the discussion.
Just about everyone liked our book for last time, The Host by Stephenie Meyer.

The next meeting will be on Thursday, December 9, 2010.

Place: Book Nook at:

http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs7867a2369e0e

Time: 9 PM Eastern, 8 Central, 7 Mountain, 6 Pacific, and 02:00 UTC.

This month, we take up a classic Hugo and Nebula Award winner that some of us
haven't read in decades, and some of us haven't read at all.

The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov.

Available from Bookshare at:

http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/6411

Also downloadable from BARD at:

http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.nls/db.10913

and also available from NLS in braille with number BR01860.

The NLS synopsis reads as follows:

In the twenty-first century Frederick Hallam discovers the electron pump which
delivers a ceaseless flow of energy from another universe. It soon becomes
evident that this is a one-way ticket to cosmic disaster.

Here is a description from Amazon:

Only a few know the terrifying truth--an outcast Earth scientist, a rebellious
alien
inhabitant of a dying planet, a lunar-born human intuitionist who senses the
imminent annihilation of the Sun.  They know the truth--but who will listen?
They have foreseen the cost of abundant energy--but who will believe?  These
few beings, human and alien,
hold the key to the Earth's survival.

It's a great one, so hope to see lots of people at the next meeting to talk
about it.

Evan