[bksvol-discuss] New voolunteer... sort of

  • From: "Nan Hawthorne" <hathorn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 13:13:44 -0700

Hello all,

I have been on and off this list for years ever since I interviewed Alison
Lingame about Bookshare for eSight Careers Network.  This time around I am
serious!  ;)

I am going to be a validator.  I read the volunteer manual but wonder if
there is some other document that is more detailed about the duties and task
of validating?  I see in the manual how to choose, downloaad and upload
bookds but not what one is looking for or any other details.  If I am
missing something obvious, I apologize.

Is there a procedure for announcing one is taking on the validation of a
particular book?  I know I should know this or was told this, but just
indulge me and remind me.

I am going to be most inclined to validate history and historical fiction as
it is the area I am most interested in and my own area as a novelist.  Since
my next effort is a series of mystery novels set in 10th century Saxon
Winchester I am taking a mystery writing class through Cascadia College so I
will probably validate  mysteries too.  Also ghost stories.

I do a blog that is historical fiction as well as a wiki about novels set in
the dark and middle ages in England.  I run a group called Ghostletters
where members write as fictional or historical characters.

After I left eSight I wrote for a publication called Volunteer management
Review, but now I am writing nothing but fiction.  You can see more about my
writing at www.nanhawthorne.com if you are interested.

Looking forward to being active.

Nan Hathorne
Seattle area