[bksvol-discuss] My results in the hunt for chapter headings

  • From: <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:35:47 -0700

Hi Everyone!

        I, like Bob, used Kurzweil to look at the daisy files.

        We know that page numbers properly extracted for daisy navigation
will not show up using Kurzweil.  I can learn.  That nonexistence of page
numbers when reading daisy books in Kurzweil was explained to me quite a
while back, and I accept that it is a Kurzweil issue.

        Remember that the books proofread by Laura Ann did not have chapter
headings protected by a page number and blank line preceding the chapter
title.

See below for what I found.  Not completely helpful.  But heartening in most
respects.

I'll follow the results with my dubious conclusions.
-----
Stripper Tests

DEADLY COMPETITION
ROXANNE RUSTAND
Proofread by Laura Ann
Chapter headings present presented as ONE TWO THREE Look perfect to me!

Elementary, My Dear Watkins
Mindy Starns Clark
Proofread by Laura Ann
No chapter headings at all.

Final Justice
MARTA PERRY
Proofread by Laura Ann
Chapter headings present. Presented as numbers written out in all caps. Look
perfect to me!

First Comes Marriage
MARY BALOGH
Proofread by Mayrie
Chapter headings present. Presented as Chapter 1 etc. Asterisks preceding
chapter headings no longer on a separate line from the chapter heading.

JUDE DEVERAUX Secrets
Proofread by Mayrie
Chapter headings present. Page numbers above chapter headings not extracted
from pages containing chapter headings. Asterisks preceding chapter headings
no longer on a separate line. Chapter headings presented as Chapter 1 etc.

ANNETTE BLAIR
SEX AND THE PSYCHIC WITCH
Proofread by Mayrie
Chapter headings present. Presented as CHAPTER 1 etc. This one looks perfect
to me.

Shattered
Paul Langan
Proofread by Mayrie
Chapter headings present. Asterisks preceding chapter headings no longer on
a separate line.

GILBERT
MORRIS TILL SHILOH COMES
Proofread by Laura Ann
Chapter headings present. Presented as CHAPTER 1 etc. Looks perfect to me!

VALENTINE MURDER
Leslie Meier
Proofread by Mayrie
Chapter headings present. Presented as CHAPTER ONE etc. This one presented
perfectly.

WEIGHT WATCHERS

Cook Quick Cook Healthy
Proofread by Laura Ann
No stripped titles.

My Conclusions
        The stripper is doing a better job! Asterisks before chapter titles
just clutter up the line on which the chapter heading appears.  I won't use
them any longer. I'll simply precede chapter headings by the page number
followed by a blank line.